96. aftermath

summary
after tony spends a day chained to a serial killer, he goes to gibbs. then years later, after gibbs looses his memory then gets it back, gibbs goes to tony

romantic relationships
n/a

platonic relationships
tony dinozzo & jethro gibbs

cast
michael weatherly as tony dinozzo
mark harmon as leroy jethro gibbs
pauley perette as abby scuito
brian dietzen as jimmy palmer
sean murray as tim mcgee
richard dean anderson as jack o'neill

fandoms
ncis
stargate

That night, after all the paperwork was done, Tony had spoken to the department shrink, changed out of the clothes that had blood on them, and spoken to Abby, Tony found himself sitting in Gibbs' basement half way through his third jar of scotch he kept at Gibbs' because he couldn't stomach the burbon. Tony hadn't said a word, and Gibbs hadn't asked him too, but Tony knew he wanted to know what Tony meant by liked the serial killer.

"You haven't asked me yet." Tony mumbled, taking a mouthful of his drink and grimacing as he did.

"Asked you what, DiNozzo?" Gibbs didn't look away from his boat, but Tony didn't think he would.

"Asked me what i meant when i told you i liked Jeffrey." Tony clarified even though Gibbs knew what he meant.

"I didn't have to, DiNozzo." Gibbs said, outting down the sander and turning to face Tony. "I know you."

"I screwed up boss." Tony said miserably. "I believed everything he told me. I genuinely thought he was a good guy. Aside from the whole, yeno, stealing artifacts thing."

"Jeeze DiNozzo." Gibbs shook his head. "You didn't screw up for liking a guy. Sure, he was a criminal, and yeah, he tried ta kill you. But you can't control what attracts you to a person."

"So what?" Tony laughed humourlessly. "I'm destined to be attracted to hot women with issues and all seem to decide after one date they can't stand me and men who have criminal records, like to kill people or are just overall dicks?"

"You'll find someone, DiNozzo."

"How do you know that?" Tony asked. "You know what happened the last time i thought i found someone."

"Yeah? That's happened to me three times." Gibbs pointed out, somewhat exasperated. "You'll find someone when the time is right, DiNozzo. Trust me."

"I do boss." Tony nodded. "Always will."

A few years down the line, after getting the plague and loosing Kate, after Gibbs gets blown up and after Tony has a near mental breakdown when Gibbs dropped off the grid, the two men find themselves back down in that basement, and this time it's the other way around for the conversation.

"We've had this conversation before, haven't we?" Gibbs said suddenly, pinning Tony with a look that had him leaning back farther into the section of the boat he'd stuck himself into. He'd been pathetically sanding the boat, running it back and forth with no real plan in mind other than knowing Gibbs would kill him if he went against the grain.

"Before Kate died." Tony agreed. "Before i got the plague. After-"

"Jeffrey White." Gibbs remembered. "An' i told you, you'd find someone."

"And i asked you when." Tony agreed. "And you said when the time is right."

"Do you still think that?" Gibbs asked his senior agent, who shrugged.