36. clary and alec

summary
in which clary and alec strike up an unlikely friendship after magnus breaks up with alec

relationships
n/a

cast
katherine mcnamara as clary fairchild
matthew daddario as alec lightwood

fandoms
shadowhunters

Alec couldn't breathe. Magnus had left him, and while Alec didn't like it at all, he understood it.

"Alec-" Clary barged into Alec's office, but she stopped short when she noticed the vulnerable position the lightwood male was in. His back was pressed up against the front of his desk, arms wrapped around his knees that were pulled up against his chest. "Oh Alec." Clary knelt down in front of Alec.

"You should go." Alec sniffed, trying to control the flow of tears that poured down his cheeks.

"And leave you alone and vulnerable?" Clary asked rhetorically. "Why would i do that?"

"Why wouldn't you?" Alec asked weakly. "I'm horrible to you almost all of the time, i'm the reason your mother died. I'm just, no good."

"Listen here." Clary said firmly. "What happened to my mother was because of the demon that possessed you. As for your attitude? I did just drop into your lives and practically ruin them." Clary laughed, bringing a small smile from Alec. "Now, what is going on with you? I haven't seen you this torn up since Max was found."

"Magnus left me." Alec hoarsely whispered. "He said, he needed to focus on being a leader, that he couldn't do that while being with me."

"Alec." Clary saw the stray tear slip down Alec's face, and pulled him into a hug. Alec didn't care about any past hatred between them, only placing his face in the crook of Clary's neck and letting all his pent up emotion just pour out in the form of tears. Clary didn't let the bitterness of the Alec she knew stop her from comforting the male, because she knew damn well of the pain heartbreak brings.

They didn't speak about that evening again, but from that point on Alec had a bit more respect for Clary Fairchild. Not that he'd ever mention that to anyone.

authors note

this is short bit i couldn't help myself