153. insomnia - lucifer

summary
in which it's lucifer that notices trixie isn't sleeping, and they find out she has insomnia

romantic relationships
lucifer morningstar x chloe decker

platonic relationships
trixie decker & lucifer morningstar
trixie decker & chloe decker

cast
scarlett estevez as beatrice ' trixie ' espinoza-decker
tom ellis as lucifer morningstar
lauren german as detective chloe decker
kevin alejandro as detective daniel ' dan ' espinoza

fandom
lucifer

For all of his life – celestial and human – Lucifer was under the impression that he simply did not need to sleep. Sure he enjoyed it as much as anyone, but in Hell falling asleep usually ended with a knife in your back or gut if you weren't careful, and eventually Lucifer adjusted to the idea of sleeping very little. Two hours every week would stock up his energy and lasted him easily most of the week, only wilting slightly towards the last few days. When he'd been in Heaven, he never knew why he would only sleep an hour or two a night while Amenadiel would be able to sleep up to 8, Rae-Rae 12, and Michael for between 8 and 12 hours per night. A lot of his siblings had varied, only two others had the same penchant for sleep as Lucifer had. It wasn't until he'd started going to therapy 5 years after he arrived on Earth did he learn that the clinical term for his issue was Insomnia.

"Insomnia is a sleep disorder, Lucifer." Linda had explained patiently. "They may have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep as long as desired. Insomnia is typically followed by daytime sleepiness, low energy, irritability, and a depressed mood. Not everybody develops all of the symptoms, but irritability is unavoidable following a sleepless night."

"Right." Lucifer had nodded, slightly perplexed. He figured it was his celestial nature that prevented the low energy, daytime sleepiness and depressed moods, but he usually managed to get several hours a night if he took 3 or 4 sleeping pills.

When Trixie started going through puberty, she started getting migraines. Dan had taken her to the Doctors, and she'd told them it was a hormonal imbalance that would eventually sort itself out over the next few years, but in the meantime she should cut down on caffeine and caffeine related products to prevent them. Having to cut out chocolate cake was really, really upsetting, but they decided that she could have it occasionally, so sometimes the migraine that followed was worth it. One particular spring, just after Trixie's Spring break and the birthday came just before, Lucifer had a particularly rough bout of Insomnia. He hadn't slept more than a cat nap (20, maybe 30 minutes) in 3 days, and it was starting to wear on him. Before, it probably wouldn't have affected him so bad, but Lucifer had been on Earth for over a decade now, and he and Chloe had been living together for 7 years now.

And it was known by a few that Chloe made Lucifer mortal. They hadn't noticed it until the winter after they moved in together when Lucifer caught the Flu from Trixie that he'd become vulnerable to human illnesses. A few years down the road you could see that he'd began aging. Not much, mind you, but the greying in his beard when he decided to grow one of the smattering of white along the hairline was the only indications of age he displayed. So Lucifer was exhausted, cranky, and useless at work and would drift off in short intervals during the day. But it was the evening before that Lucifer had finally noticed why Trixie had seemed more tired, more irritated with everything ( more than just being a teenager ) when he'd run into her in the kitchen at 3am. She'd played it off as just being thirsty, but Lucifer saw the bags under her eyes, had heard her moving about and the low volume of her laptop through her earphones and knew she hadn't been to sleep in a while. He'd accepted her excuse then though, because it was 3am, and he was exhausted and in no mood to fight her.