85. the heart of camelot

summary
magic has always been at the heart of camelot

relationships
arthur x gwen

cast
arthur
merlin
uther
gwen
gaius
morgana

fandoms
merlin

The nightmares started after Morgana left Camelot the first time. He dreamt of his father's death, of his own death, of those close to him dying and he couldn't do anything. And each time, when he woke up screaming, or at least close to it, a pot would smash or a curtain was torn or something was destroyed. And 2 months in, he thought he was loosing his mind.

Merlin entered Arthur's chambers early, as he usually did. But he wasn't expecting to find Arthur already up and standing looking over Camelot. Merlin took notice of another smashed vase, and the scattered ceramic and sighed. He crouched down, picking up the ceramic.

"You're up early." Merlin remarked as he picked up the ceramic vase. Arthur looked back at Merlin, his face passive if not slightly afraid. "And what do you have against vases all of a sudden?"

"Nothing." Arthur said, turning back to look down on the town. The room was silent, every so often Merlin shifted with an uncomfortable look on his face.

"You're going to be late Arthur." Merlin said, putting the last of the shards into the bin by the door.

"I'm not feeling myself. Will you let my father know I won't be attending?" Merlin raised his eyebrows, but nodded his head.

"Of course, anything else?"

"That will be all." Merlin left the Prince's chambers with a curious look on his face as he left in search of Uther.

Merlin got back to the Physician's chamber, and looked at Gaius.

"Has Arthur been acting strange lately?" Merlin asked, sitting down at the bench. Gaius thought about it.

"No more than usual, why do you ask?"

"In the last 2 months Arthur has claimed he was sick whenever he had to go to a court meeting that his father is at, I keep finding smashed vases and torn curtains." Merlin told Gaius. "And he hasn't been eating or sleeping much and when he does he has these nightmares."

"What to you think it is?" Gaius asked curiously.

"I don't want to speculate, but it's awfully similar to how Morgana was acting when she had those nightmares." Gaius looked at Merlin with a serious look.

"That's a serious accusation Merlin. Don't let anybody hear you think Arthur has magic." Gaius said in a hushed voice and Merlin nodded his head and sighed.

"Besides, what are the chances he would even have magic?"

Arthur woke up from another nightmare in a flurry of panic. He sat upright, and his eyes flew open wide and burned bright gold as another vase exploded across the room. Arthur pulled the covers away, running a hand over his sweat covered face and sighed shakily. Getting up, Arthur pulled his dark blue cloak and shoes on before leaving his quarters. He managed to avoid the guards, silently walking through the castle till he found himself in front of Gaius' chambers.