82. sensory overload

summary
in which castiel deals with sensory overload as a human

relationships
dean x cas (pre-relationship)

cast
jensen ackles as dean winchester
misha collins as castiel

fandoms
supernatural

There are days where sometimes, the world becomes far too overwhelming for the former angel. His head aches, hearing every drip, every single noise inside the bunker and 5 miles in all directions. It happened on a rare occasion, and can last for weeks if not a month, and this time Dean finds himself caught up in the middle of it.

Cas tries not to let onto how much everything was affecting him. So, after pulling on his suit painfully slowly to avoid further irritating his already sore skin, he made his way to the bunker kitchen to get a glass of water, the thought of even smelling food too much. But, unfortunately he was out of luck as it seemed Sam and Dean were already up and talking about whatever it was those two talked about. Cas shuffled into the kitchen, his bare feet padding across the room as he quickly poured himself a glass of water, hoping to get away quickly to avoid conversation but was out of luck when Dean spotted him.

"Morning sunshine." Dean greeted with the God-awful nickname he'd come up with one late night whilst the two had been doing shots. Ever since Cas had become human, he'd began to indulge in all the things he couldn't enjoy before, like drinking, eating and other things. Cas merely nodded his head to Dean in response, his head forming the familiar ache he felt on these particular days as he gulped down his glass of water.

"What's on the agenda for today then Cas?" Sam asked him, not even looking up from his book once.

"Judging by the look in his eye when you mentioned 'day' it's going to be a lazy one." Dean remarked around a mouthful of food, a remark to which Cas once again nodded at before vacating the kitchen. The two brothers watched the former angel leave, curious. But of course, both brothers merely shrugged it off, pinning it on a headache or something like that.

Later, when the former angel didn't leave his room and it became closer to dinner, Dean decided to check on him. Dean wouldn't admit it aloud, but he's always harboured a little crush on Castiel, ever since he first laid eyes on him. Since Sam had taken the Impala out to 'shop' Dean guessed he wouldn't be back for several hours leaving the former angel and hunter stuck in the bunker until he got back.

Dean knocked on the door to Cas' room. "Cas?" He called, opening the door of the room. The lights were off, but even in the hall light he could make out Cas' figure, curled up on the mattress with his arms wrapped around a pillow, his head resting on the bare mattress. Dean frowned when he noticed the distressed look upon his friends face, and flicked on the bedroom light.

"Turn it off!" Dean was shocked by the urgency in Castiel's voice, and quickly flicked the light off as he stepped fully into the room.

"What's going on man?" Dean asked him, and Cas merely let out another groan of pain as he rolled over onto his stomach. Dean let his eyes wander down the pale bare skin of Cas' back to where it dissapeared beneath his pyjama trousers.

"I believe it's what's called a sensory overload." Cas told Dean, though his voice was slightly muffled. "This is the fourth time it has happened."

"Well, what did you usually do when it happened?" Dean asked, though he was feeling slightly awkward. He watched the former angel flex his back muscles as he curled his hands beneath his head.

"I was with Meg the other times. This is the first time since I became human." Dean didn't know what to say, feeling slightly awkward. "Don't worry, it should pass."

"I wasn't worried." Dean scoffed, and even laying face down on his mattress the angel managed to be sarcastic.

"I'm sure." Was his snarky reply. Dean rolled his eyes, standing up and heading to leave Cas.

"Hey Cas, play some music. Use it too drown out the sound around you too focus on one particular thing."

It was another day in the bunker some months later, and Cas seemed to be fine again. At least, as far as Dean could tell. Sam had gone out again, apparently he'd met a girl and had a date so Dean let him take the Impala since he didn't have any actual plans for the night. Beer in hand, Dean was making his way back to his room to do who knows what, but he came to a stop outside his best friends room. He could hear the mixtape Dean had given Cas a while back playing from what must have been a cassette player. He knocked on the door, and heard Cas say something and took that as his cue to enter his friends room. Cas was laying the same way as the last time, head buried in a pillow. This time a pair of glasses sat on his bedside table next to the bed, The tape player was on the desk next to the door and Cas looked exhausted.

"You alright man?" Dean asked carefully, crouching next to the former angels bed. Cas opened his eyes, his bright blue eyes holding an exhausted look in them. He hadn't shaved in a while either, evident by the scruff on his face. "You look like shit."

"Oh thanks." Cas replied, voice slightly muffled by the pillow. "That's just what I wanted to hear Dean."

"What am I supposed to say?" Dean asked in slight exasperation.

"Nothing, would be preferred." Cas turned his head back into the pillow, his whole body relaxing slightly into the mattress. Dean knew the Sensory problem had passed at this point, but Cas was still clearly suffering from a bad headache.

"Sit up." Dean crossed the room as Cas groaned but did, wincing at the overhead light even as Dean sat down beside him. "Sammy got migraines when he was a teenager. One of our Health teachers showed me a trick for relief." Dean fully turned towards Cas and placed both hands on either side of his neck, massaging softly. Cas closed his eyes, and slowly the headache dimmed until it was barely there.

"Thank you." Cas opened his eyes again.

"Anytime Cas."

authors note
cute, and love human!castiel