148. career changes - cm, ncis

summary
two years after spencer met ellie's team, he's done with the fbi and retired

romantic relationships
ellie bishop x spencer reid

platonic relationships

cast
emily wickersham as ellie bishop-reid
matthew gray gubler as spencer bishop-reid

fandoms
ncis
criminal minds

(can be read as a stand alone)

part 2 of the 'genius' series

By the time Spencer arrived at the NCIS building, he was out of breath, exhausted and slightly irritated. Waving his pass at Frank and putting his gun and knife in the box, who nodded him through the metal detector, Spencer collected his belongings and got into the lift. Leaning back against the wall, Spencer tipped his head back and let out a heavy sigh. His brain was taxed, overworked, and he had reached his breaking point with the FBI. No matter how much he loved working with Emily and Garcia and Rossi and everyone else, it wasn't worth the strain it had began to put on his relationship with Ellie. They'd been married 2 and a half years, but had only really spent at most, a year in the same state together. He loved Ellie with all of his being, and didn't want to loose her.

Stepping out onto the bullpen, Spencer immediately scanned the room for his wife. He saw the rest of her team - Tim, Nick, and Gibbs - but her desk was empty. He shrugged and dug his hands into his pockets, heading over to their section of the room.

"Good morning." Spencer greeted. Despite the fact they were clearly in the middle of a case, Gibbs still stood up from his desk to greet him.

"Doctor Reid." Gibbs shook his hand. "What can we do for you this morning?"

"I sort of need to talk to Ellie." Spencer admitted. "I'd like to tell her before she finds out from Agency Scuttlebutt."

"How'd your team take it?" Gibbs wondered, somehow already knowing Spencer had resigned.

"They didn't like it, but they understood." Spencer shrugged. "I can't loose her, Gibbs."

"Yeah, I know." Gibbs nodded. "I sent Ellie down to Autopsy. You can go down and catch her before she gets up here or wait till she gets back."

"I'll just wait here." Spencer made himself comfortable behind Ellie's desk and booted up her laptop, much to Tim and Gibbs' amusement.

"Care to explain?" Torres spoke up, curious.

"Doctor Spencer Bishop-Reid." Tim introduced him, and Torres made an understanding noise.

"Ah, the husband."

"The very same." Spencer confirmed with a smile, eyes scanning over the files open on Ellie's computer. "How's the case going?"

"Slow." Tim admitted.

"Want a fresh perspective?" Spencer offered, looking at Gibbs. The older man looked at Spencer over his glasses, then shrugged.

"Knock yourself out."

"Run me through the case." Spencer asked Tim, who nodded.

"So, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Vanessa Hopkins comes back from a spa retreat during her leave to find her house completely trashed and her husband, Lieutenant Adam Hopkins, who works for the Navy, missing."

"At first it seemed like a kidnapping." Torres said next. "But when Abby processed the crime scene she concluded it had been staged."

"Huh." Spencer mused.

"Husband's been missing for three days, but for some reason the wife doesn't seem too concerned that there hasn't been a ransom demand." Tim concluded.

"Have you looked at a potential hit?" Spencer asked. Tim frowned, and so did Torres.

"I'm gonna need more to go on here."

"Alright. Tell me, does the husband have money?" Spencer asked.

"Lieutenant Hopkins is set to inherit a large sum of money in two days." Tim informed him. "His grandmother passed away and has given him her entire estate in her will."

"Did the wife sign a prenup?" Spencer asked.

"How did you..."

"Lieutenant Hopkins finds out his wife is cheating on him and files for divorce." Spencer offers his theory. "But if the divorce is finalized before he inherits that money-"

"Then she doesn't get a dime from him." Tim finished. "Why didn't we think of that?"

"Because none of you are as brilliant as my husband." Ellie beamed, making it known she was standing just out of eye line. Spencer grinned at her, kissing her quickly in greeting.

"I need to talk to you." Spencer said quietly, and Ellie stared at him for a second before grabbing her coat.

"I'll pick some coffee up." Ellie promised them, as a bargain, so she could leave.

"Go Bishop." Gibbs dismissed her. "Work it out."

"Thanks Gibbs." Spencer nodded, and wrapped an arm around her shoulders while hers went around his waist as they headed out.

"So, you wanted to talk?" Ellie wondered, sitting in the coffee shop with a cup of tea between her hands. Spencer looked down at his own cup of coffee, looking uncharacteristically unsure. "Listen, Spence, I know we haven't exactly been in a good place lately. But I want this to work, and it's not going to work if you don't trust me."

"You're right." Spencer nodded, blowing out a breath. "As you know, my last case was harder on me than I thought it would be. Well, I nearly got shot, and fuck, Ellie, I wasn't even scared for my life. I was scared that i'd die and the last conversation we had was a fight." Ellie winced. That fight had been ugly. Both of them knew what they signed onto when they'd gotten married, and Spencer had been so proud of Ellie when she'd gotten the job on Gibbs' team. But it had been hard on them. "So, this morning I handed in my resignation."

"Oh my god." Ellie blinked.

"I actually got out quite well." Spencer admitted. "I spoke to Section Chief Cruz, and Deputy Director Fornell. They managed to put through a retirement package based on previous damages to my health in the field. As of the 21st, I will officially be retired from the FBI." Spencer looked down again. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you about it first. I know this changes things, because i'm going to be home a lot more. But I-I can't bare the thought of loosing you, Ellie, not again."

"Spencer." Ellie breathed, hating herself for everything she'd ever said. Their fight had been ugly, and she'd said some awful things to him and he to her. "God, I can't loose you either. You know that. And i'm so damn sorry about everything I said to you. It was cruel and harsh and not at all me. We both said some things we didn't mean." Ellie sighed. "I'm sorry too. But, I want to make this work, Spencer. I love you too much to bare the thought of loosing you."

"So we make it work." Spencer agreed. "We do whatever it takes."

"I love you." Ellie smiled, reaching across the table and holding his hand. Spencer smiled, squeezing her hand just as tight.

"I love you too."

authors note
a quick and nice little one shot about ellie and spencer. likely will write more of them