37. hunting a ghost in a mental hospital

summary
in which cas and sam admit themselves to a mental hospital to hunt a ghost

relationships
dean winchester x castiel

cast
jared padalecki as sam winchester
jensen ackles as dean winchester
misha collins as castiel

fandoms
supernatural

"What's going on today Mr Novak?" Doctor Mathers asked Castiel, who was sitting opposite him. Cas shrugged his shoulders, picking at the fabric of his hospital issued trousers. "Tell me of Sam and Dean."

"Dean died. Metatron killed him, but then he came back as a demon and the Angel is trying to help Sam track Dean down." Cas mumbled. Doctor Mathers wrote that down, nodding his head.

"Tell me what's going on with the angel."

"He's lost. Despite getting his grace back he feels like everything is lost without Dean." Cas explains. "Dean is his best friend, and now he is a demon and despite it all he can't help but feel like he failed."

"That's enough for today Castiel. We'll pick it up next week." Cas leaves the room, and the Doctor picks up a recorder, "Patient report 2, Name Castiel Novak. Admitted for delusions after a mental break when his wife and daughter were killed. He is still to reveal the name of the angel in his stories, but Sam and Dean Winchester's story only seems to get worse. Sam Winchester is also a patient in this hospital, but Castiel doesn't seem to notice. End of recording."

Castiel finds himself sitting in the patient lounge with paper on the table and a pencil in his hand, sketching a tattoo. The tattoo itself isn't anything important, it's simply from one of his 'delusions'. His mind wanders to the angel in his dreams, the one who looks like him and sounds like him and has the same name but isn't him.

"What's going on today Mr Winchester?" Doctor Mathers asked Sam Winchester, another patient of his.

"I've been better." Sam said decidedly, tapping his leg.

"Have you seen him again?" Doctor Mathers asked him, and Sam moved his head to look at the wall beside him, pretending to be seeing the Archangel who has been taunting him for years. "Is he here right now?"

"He's uh, up against the wall." Sam points to the wall, and Doctor Mathers nods his head whilst writing something down.

"What about the dreams you've been having?"

"Dean became a demon. The brother is trying to save him with the help of Castiel, but Cas is distracted by his own problems." Sam says, "The brother is trying to get his brother back, but he's got a dislocated shoulder and is going through some stuff."

"That's enough for today Sam. We'll pick this up next week." Doctor Mathers said, noticing his agitated state and Sam left. Mathers sighed, picking up his recorder. "Patient record 3, Sam Winchester was admitted after his brother was killed when he claimed to see Lucifer every time he opened his eyes. He is still to reveal the name of the brother, but I'm starting to think two of my cases are in fact related. Mr Novak appears to be telling the same story as Mr Winchester, from two different perspectives."