120. nine-nine - b99

summary
in which jake finally comes out to his squad

relationships
jake peralta x ryder parks

cast
andy samberg as detective jake peralta
andrew garfield as doctor ryder parks
melissa fumero as detective amy santiago
joe truglio as detective charles boyle
stephanie beatriz as detective rosa diaz
andre braugher as captain raymond holt
marc evan jackson as professor kevin kozner

chelsea peretti as gina linetti

fandom
brooklyn nine-nine

Jake was sat at his desk in the 99th Precinct in Brooklyn, New York, finishing up the paperwork for a B&E he'd solved the night before. Across the bullpen Charles was watching him intently because he'd noticed something different about Jake. He finally figured it out when Jake span in his chair to tease Terry about something, and a dark glint on his hand reflected off the ceiling light.

"Aha!" Charles shouted, standing up and startling everyone.

"Christ Boyle!" Rosa growled - she'd been drinking coffee.

"The hell Charles!" Amy said at the same time - she was eating.

"Jake's engaged!" Charles exclaimed triumphantly, grabbing Jakes hand and showing off the black tungsten ring that was indeed on his ring finger. Holt stepped out of his office, obviously having overheard the conversation since Boyle was shouting so loudly.

"Is this true, Detective Peralta?" Holt asked and Jake sighed.

"Yes sir." Jake nodded and stood up. "That's right everyone, Jake Peralta is getting married!"

"Congratulations!" Amy grinned.

"Thanks Ames."

"Good job, Jake." Rosa nodded her head in respect.

"If you don't mind me askin, who's the lucky girl?" Terry asked curiously, and Jake took a deep breath. This was it, the moment of truth.

"His name is Ryder Parks, and he's one of the head researchers for Stark Industries biotech labs." Everyone was visibly shocked, because let's face it, Jake seems like a lady's man, so he took a page out of Rosa's book. "You have one minute, ask away."

"When did you know?" Amy asked.

"I was eleven. I had just become friends with Gina, and one of Gina's lady friends-"

"Marilla!" Gina interjected.

"Thank you, Gina. Marilla dared me to kiss my friend Rodger. I did, at the time i was like 'ew this is super gross' but then i was 17, and realized i liked it."

"Were you ever going to tell us?" Charles asked.

"I was in fact." Jake nodded. "Tonight, actually. At Shaw's, nine o'clock."

"Hitchcock put your hand down." Rosa stated. "I'm real proud of you Peralta, takes guts."

"I agree with Detective Diaz." Holt stated. "Kevin and I will both be in attendance Peralta."

"Thank you guys." Jake looked at his watch. "You have time for one more question."

"How did you meet Ryder?" Gina asked, like she didn't already know because Gina and Jake have been besties for years. Rosa had known as well, because she'd caught him making out with a fellow Cadet in the Academy two weeks into the course.

"He pulled me out of the street and saved me from getting shot." Jake said, and everyone looked visibly surprised. "And then he asked me to coffee and the rest was history."

"Wait why is no one pointing out that Ryder Parks is the son of Tony Stark?" Charles suddenly said, but Jake was thankful when Holt stopped him from saying anything else.

"Alright, everyone back to work." Holt ordered.

Jake had taken to hiding in the records room after he got yet another encouraging thumbs up from Boyle and was surprisingly doing work when Captain Holt came it, and scared the hell out of him.

"Jesus!" Jake said, holding a hand to his chest. "You scared me sir."

"My apologies Detective. I will try and announce myself from now on." Holt said blandly. "Why are you hiding in the records room instead of sitting at your desk?"

"Boyle keeps sending me these supportive thumbs ups and Amy keeps looking at me and Terry keeps offering me yogurt." Jake explained, half whining. "The only people not acting completely insane is you, Rosa and Gina."

"May i offer some insight?" Holt asked.

"Sure."

"You and Gina have been friends since middle school. She probably knows you better than you know yourself, and had known for years. She isn't going to act weird around you because to her, it's not different. To her, you are Jake and haven't changed in the last hour. Rosa is bisexual, so she doesn't see you differently because all this shows is you like men, not that you aren't you." Holt explained and Jake had to admit he had a damn good point.

"And you sir?"

"Peralta, i am a black, gay police captain who was raised in a single parent household." Holt stopped there, but he'd gotten his point across. "Give them time Peralta."

"Thank you Captain."

authors note
this is short and sweet