The New Coach

A practice match against Eito Academy was set up. The order was for them to lose, 3-0. All but Tenma, Shinsuke, and the managers knew this.

By the time the second half started, Eito already had 3 points. That was when they realized the reality they were in. Raimon was holding back, letting Eito win. Despite knowing this, Tenma continuously went after the ball himself and passed it to Shindou, hoping he'll make the shot. But Shindou ignored him, again, and again, and again. Until he didn't.

Right before the last whistle, he scored a goal, ending the game at 3-1. That afternoon, they were told Coach Kudou was fired.

~~~~~

With their coach gone, morning practice was all over the place. None of them could properly focus. Even Shindou wasn't present to pull them through.

"What a pathetic captain." Tsurugi earned the glares of all four girls.

When the team all took a break, they began to speculate who the new coach would be. Minamisawa made some remarks about how it was going to be someone from Fifth Sector, which means they should just do as ordered. Kurumada wasn't fine with that at all.

Kurama clicked his tongue in frustration. "So, it's gonna be the same no matter who comes, is that it?"

"That's not true!" A cheerful voice came from the top of the stairs. A brown-haired man wearing an orange bandana appeared, smiling at them.

Haruna's expression turned from shock to pure joy. "It's been a long time!" She could hardly contain her excitement as she ran over to him with a bow.

"Is this everyone?" The man asked.

"No, the captain is absent." Kirino replied.

"Okay. I'm the Raimon soccer club's coach starting today, Endou Mamoru."

"Eh?! Endou Mamoru, the legendary goalkeeper?!" Tenma wasn't the only one shocked. All the boys had their mouths hanging open, Tsurugi included.

"I look forward to working with you all!"

"Endou-san, you're the new coach?" Haruna asked again, hardly believing her ears.

"Yeah." He responded without a doubt. Seeing the children all pleasantly surprised made him happy. "Here's the schedule after school. We'll be practicing on the riverbank grounds."

"The riverbank?"

"Why over there?"

"You might be able to see something that you wouldn't be able to see from the school grounds."

"And why do we need to see something like that?"

"In order to win. If we all train together, Raimon will surely get stronger. I'll be waiting!" Showing them one last grin, he left them to it.

"Are you going?" Kimiko asked her partner.

"Are you?" He asked back.

Maybe he was trying to mock her, but she answered full heartedly. "Of course I am. It's the Endou Mamoru, after all." She turned to a certain duo. "And they will definitely be there too."

"Your curiosity is going to be the end of you."

~~~~~

She gave the navy haired boy a smirk as he walked down the steps. "You were saying, Kyousuke?" He pushed past her rather roughly, but that only earned him a chuckle.

All the others watched him warily as he kicked a ball to the center of the field. He turned towards the goal, his expression furious. In one swift motion, he lifted the ball and let it hover. Kicking it, dark energy began to gather around them. "Death Sword!"

The ball headed straight for the man's face, but while the others feared for his life, he only tilted his head slightly and let him score. "That was an awesome shoot! You're good!"

"What a joke." He turned on his heel, purposely bumping his shoulder to her again before leaving. She only shook her head with a small smile.

"Kimiko! You're last!"

She froze. "E-Excuse me, what?"

"You're last." Endou kicked the ball to her feet. "If you're sent by Fifth Sector, then I don't think you'd be a manager. You're a player, right?"

"...Somewhat." She smiled nervously, putting her foot up on the ball. "I'm on a bit of a hiatus at the moment though."

"That doesn't matter right now. I just want to see you shoot." He stepped out of the way. "Why don't you show me those keshins people have been talking about?"

"A keshin?!"

"Here and now?!"

"Coach Endou!"

"Right off the bat, huh?" She took a deep breath. It's alright... This isn't a match. "Alright then... Acheri no Megami!" An archer wearing a silver hooded robe appeared, equipped with a golden bow and a silver tipped arrow. As she got into a shooting position, its eyes glowed purple and drew the string to its chest. When she kicked the ball, an arrow followed, straight into the goal. "Was that okay?"

"More than okay!" He chuckled. "It's a shame you're not on the team."

She shrugged as the shadows disappeared from her back. "I have my reasons." She bowed before turning to leave. "I'm going to head off now, Endou-san. Enjoy your time."

"'Enjoy'?" Kurumada's eyes narrowed on her. "Are you mocking us?"

"Hm?" When his meaning sank in, she gave them a smile. "I'm just an observer. I have no intentions of interfering with your matches or practice sessions."

"Your job here is to make sure Raimon obeys Fifth Sector, isn't it?" Kurama pressed, still unconvinced.

"Raimon will do what's best for Raimon. That's all I have to say about that." She bowed again before following the trail her friend left with.

~~~~~

"'Raimon will do what's best for Raimon', you say?"

She could only give a wry smile. "That's really all I could say about it."

The man on the throne returned it with a similar expression. "Then, what do you think about them?"

"They have plenty of potential, especially Matsukaze Tenma. And with Endou-san there, I like to think that they could only grow."

"I see... Then, for now, keep a close eye on them."

"As the Holy Emperor wishes."