Interval 1 - A Break?

It's been a week since the incident. Kimiko had just finished her lessons for the day and she went to the park, there being her new favorite place in town. She had told her relatives about her new friends, and even though they were wary, she promised them that they knew nothing about her abilities.

Though if they did, I probably could've saved him.

She shook the thought out of her head. What's done is done. She can't change the past. All she can do now is be there for her friend, who is no doubt having a much harder time than she is over it.

When she arrived, the boy she was looking for wasn't present, so she decided to wait for a little while. Families came and went. She watched as some played with kites, climbed on the playground, shared snacks, or even just simply sitting and enjoying the wind. Roughly 15 minutes passed, but still no sign of him.

He's not coming.

With that as her conclusion, she turned to a clock by the gates. Ever since she became friends with the boys, her brother made it a point to pick her up late so she could spend at least a couple of hours with them. Seeing how she still had plenty of time to spare, she headed towards his house.

The first time she came over was the week before. She wanted to accompany her friend after what had happened and got permission to stay the night. Luckily, she had walked around the neighborhood enough times to know what street they lived in.

Arriving at the door of the grey, two story house, she stood still on the porch. Was it alright to come here uninvited? Sure, they've been friends for a year, and she had met his parents a few times already, but to come to their front door like this? She supposed being worried for her friend would be a valid reason, but what if he wanted to be alone?

As she debated with herself, the door opened to reveal a brown-haired woman. She had spotted the girl fidgeting from the window and wondered why she didn't just knock. Seeing her jump in surprise at her sudden appearance, she gave her a smile. "Kimiko, it's good to see you again."

"Good to see you too, ma'am..."

"Are you here to see Kyousuke?" When she nodded, the woman led her inside. "He's in his room. You remember which one it is, right?"

"Mmhm. Thank you." She bowed before disappearing through the doorway behind the kitchen.

She went up the wooden stairs, passing by quite a lot of framed photos. Most of them were of the brothers playing together. Being five years apart, this year was Yuuichi's last and Kyousuke's first in elementary. The only school-related thing they did together so far was the summer festival held a couple of months ago.

And they were looking forward to Christmas too...

She shook the thought out of her head and faced the door before her. This time, she didn't hesitate on knocking. "Kyou? It's Kimiko... Can I come in?"

No response.

"I'm going to let myself in, then..."

The lights were off and the blinds were blocking any light from coming in through the window. Squinting, she could just barely make out the shape of a lump on the bed.

She lowered herself on her legs, sitting on the floor. Getting a closer look at the head of the lump, she figured he was facing the wall. Reaching out, she patted his shoulder. "Kyousuke?"

"I don't feel like going to the park anymore..." His voice was just slightly muffled by the duvet, but his discouraged tone was clear.

Because that's where it happened? "Okay... Then, what about the riverbank? No one uses it on the weekends."