Sazanaara II

"So, have you at last made your decision to become king?"

Of course, that is the question she decides to greet me with. He held back a sigh, knowing full well by now that she wouldn't take a blunt 'no' for an answer. If she did, she would've let him go by now.

He had to stall for time. "Why do you want me to be the king of Faram Orbius, Lalaya?"

The child-like queen had her usual smile as she nonchalantly replied, "Tsurugi will make this planet a better place. That is the feeling I get. That is how I feel when I look into your eyes."

How exactly am I supposed to do that when I've only been here for a few days? He was really eager to throw those words out, but knowing he couldn't, he changed the question. "Isn't this planet good enough already?" After all, she's been bragging non-stop about how it's the most prosperous planet in the galaxy every chance she gets...

"O-Of course it is! You will find no planet better than this one!"

With that slight voice crack at the start, he could feel a 'but' coming on...

"But, for some reason..."

Knew it.

"I cannot help but feel troubled. I don't know why..."

... So, does that mean if she finds out why and fixes it herself, he wouldn't need to be king? It was a shot in the dark, but definitely worth a try.

"Lalaya. I want to know more about this planet before I decide about becoming its king or not. Let me roam freely today, for one day."

"You must think me a fool! You intend to run away, don't you!"

He resisted the urge to deadpan at her (Because it's not like he knew how to fly a spaceship...), and instead gave his sincerest smile. "I'll come back. I promise."

She tried to stare him down, but he wasn't going to falter from just that. Besides, her glare didn't hold a candle to the looks Kimiko would give him in much more absurd scenarios. In the end, she gave in.

After getting an outfit to blend in with the locals, he was given a small pouch filled with just enough money to last until the next day. The girl's aide, whose name is Minel, taught him briefly on the currencies as well as handing him a small map so that he wouldn't get lost in the capital. He departed right after lunch that day.

On the train, on the way to the city, he fidgeted with the keychain he still kept on his sleeve. Just looking at it gave him all the motivation he needed.

She probably already figured it out by now. There was no way she wouldn't notice him getting replaced that day, right? Still, that fake was able to knock him out with a single touch to the forehead. He hoped that she and the rest of his team weren't in any more danger after that, as Lalaya had made it clear that he was her only target. Just wait for me, I'll come back to you soon. Until then, please don't do anything stupid!

Just as he thought so, though, he couldn't help but sigh. Knowing her, she probably already was.

~~~~~

After Kusaka left her side to talk to Tetsukado, Konoha's gaze went to the back of the group. Kimiko was staring out into the distance with a blank look on her face. She slowed her pace down to walk beside the manager and, after careful consideration, poked her on the arm.

"Kimiko?"

Purple eyes blinked and she looked down with questioning eyes. "What is it, Konoha?"

"Are you okay?"