Stolen Hope

Once they got off the planet, they were once again allowed to wander around the train. Kusaka had gone back to see Ratoniik one last time before they warp, while the rest of them patiently waited for him.

In the meantime, Tenma handed all the rocks he collected to Kamata, who was preparing to use a scanner for them. Mizukawa― or perhaps Potomuri― stood nearby, observing the process. By the time Kusaka came back, the results had already appeared.

"I knew it!"

"You know what they are?" Aoi asked.

The teal-haired girl turned to Tenma. "You did a fine job collecting them."

The brunette let out a large smile. "It was mostly Katora."

Kimiko couldn't help briefly questioning why they were suddenly on good terms on that matter, but ultimately decided she didn't care as long as things were finally sorted out.

"So, what do these stones do exactly?" Shindou asked.

Mizukawa turned to the rocks and addressed them in the order of their collection. "The Solar Rock from planet Sandorias. The Ocean Crystal from planet Sazanaara. The Crimson Fire Stone from Gardon. The Florescent Stone from planet Ratoniik. These stones are the raw materials that can create the legendary ore, mithril... Otherwise known as the Mithril Stones."

"Mithril Stones..."

Sounds like something out of a fantasy book... Kimiko suppressed her urge to chuckle. Then again, Kyousuke and the others have gone into King Arthur's storybook before.

"When I was still a scientist on planet Kiel, I could not find these stones no matter how hard I tried. I can't believe they're here now..."

"Mizukawa-san?"

"What now?"

"They are indeed the shards of hope." As she spoke, her voice changed and she was engulfed in a bright light. When it dissipated, they saw before them the man they had only ever seen in a mirror before.

"Potomuri...?"

"EHHH?"

"What the heck?!"

"This is..." The man felt around his head. "This is my original body."

"You aren't a clown?" Shinsuke asked, earning a sweatdrop from Konoha.

"That was a doll."

"Oh, right."

"What happened to Mizukawa?" Ibuki asked.

"My spirit may have brought about a transformation in her. The uplift in my mental spirit at having collected the Mithril Stones may have strengthened the amalgamated bond between the two of us, which, as a result, allows my appearance to be visible to you before that of her own body."

"... Did anyone get that?"

Kimiko gave a wry smile. "Just think of Potomuri as Mizukawa-san's Soul power for now. I think the concept is similar. It's only the means of usage that's different."

"So in other words," Matatagi had both his arms behind his head in a laid back manner. "We're able to see the normal you now."

"These stones contain the necessary chemical element that will produce mithril. As I have mentioned to you before, with mithril, I can create the Cosmic Plasma Photon Cannon that can blot out black holes."

"So we've finally reached that stage." Minaho muttered, earning a small nod from Manabe.

"It is a technology dreamed up by the researchers of Kiel, a way to save the galaxy. We were so close to finishing it, but we were unable to find the derivative materials that would produce mithril."