Ragnarok

Aside from seeing the other teams less, their preparation days were just the same as the first. Infuriatingly.

"Um... Tsurugi?"

"What is it, Fei?"

"Uh... I was just wondering... Did you and Kimiko have a fight...?"

"What makes you think that?"

"Well... you look like you've been annoyed by her lately... More than usual, I mean."

He cast a side glance at the girl in question, who was chatting with Midori without a care in the world, before turning back to him and the girl who sat between them. "Fei, Kinako, let me ask you two. Do you think there's a limit to stupidity?"

"...Eh?"

"I, for one, am convinced there is none. Every time I think that idiot has hit rock bottom, she just keeps proving me wrong."

"Huh...?" The brunette girl blinked. "W-What's this about exactly?"

"How could I ever regret meeting the one I love?" He only realized what he said when he felt her shoulders stiffen. "I-I mean―!"

Unexpectedly, she started laughing. "Haha! I never thought I'd ever hear you say that!"

"H-Huh?"

"Since you say so, I guess I shouldn't give in so easily after all."

... What.

"You're such an angel, Kyou. Really, this is why you're my most precious friend. You always manage to cheer me up... Thank you."

The navy haired boy stared at his teammates for a while, contemplating if he really should mention how she still can't realize his feelings for her despite his choice of words that night. Eventually, he decided against it. "Forget it. Nevermind. Don't worry, it won't affect my plays."

"W-Well... If you say so..."

At that moment, their coach came in and the briefing began. It was rather short seeing as there was no available data on their opponents. Kidou suggested that they used a plan that lets them observe them first.

"If we lack the opponent's data, then we will have to use this strategy to achieve victory."

"Yes, sir!"

"Then, rest up for tomorrow."

With his focus turning back to the match ahead of him, he couldn't stop the worries from returning. Why did Coach Kidou choose me as this team's captain?

"Kyou?" He snapped out of his thoughts and found his friend staring down at him. "You're not going?"

He blinked and looked around, finding all the seats empty. Kidou and Masato seemed to be discussing something in the corner, with Wondeba sulking on the ground beside them.

He turned back to her with a nod and the two went back to his room.

"So... Are you going to tell me why you've been giving me the stink eye since our previous night time talk, or...?"

"You haven't read my mind?"

"Do you want me to?"

"No." He laid down on his bed with his back turned to her. "I just can't believe you sometimes."

"About?"

"... Forget it. Get back to your room. I want to think alone for a while."

"Huh... Well, okay, I guess...? Good night then."

"Night."

Only when the door closed did he let himself sigh.

Should I even be thinking about her right now? With the match tomorrow and me as captain...