Interval 2 - Why He Came

He finally looked up from his work. He's finished quite a lot in just a few hours and decided that it's about time he took a break.

"Hey, Miko―" He stopped himself when he found no one behind him. Then, his eyes landed on the clock.

17:31.

She probably just left. He knew Kimiko was a very strict person when it came to time. She leaves at the same time every single day, even before she started coming to his house every weekend.

He decided to go downstairs and see if there were any snacks he could grab. He vaguely remembers his mom coming in earlier to inform the two about cookies with icing. Reaching the bottom of the steps, he was about to head into the living room, when he heard three voices deep in conversation.

"I hope you wouldn't mind waiting just a few more minutes. I made quite a lot of these, and I don't think Kyousuke can finish them all on his own." He heard his mother say.

"Don't worry. If I'm late, they know I'll have a good reason."

"Cookies count as a good reason?" Came his father's voice.

"Of course! Aunty's cookies are the best!"

"I'm flattered."

He spotted his mother setting down three mugs on the coffee table. He guessed she and Kimiko were having tea while his father had coffee. He supposed now's a good of a time as any to be joining them―

"So, how was Kyousuke today?"

... or not.

He made his way to the door frame and sat down without making a sound, continuing his eavesdropping.

The girl sighed. "It's still the same as last time... He's studying really hard, just like he said he would."

"I see..." His mother also gave a sigh. "I'm sorry, Kimiko. You come all this way every week to see him, and yet..."

"Don't worry about it! I'm the one who chose to come here. I know I'll probably get the same result next week, and the week after that, but I just... can't help but hope. Kyousuke still loves soccer, after all."

"Ever since his brother was sent to the hospital, his grades skyrocketed." His father stated. "He hasn't gotten anything less than a 90 in all subjects. Of course, we're proud of him and at this rate, he could get scouted in scholarships later, but... Why does that matter if he's doing this while sacrificing his own happiness? This isn't something an eight-year-old should have to bear. Especially on his own like this..."

"'On his own'?" Kimiko repeated. "You mean none of his school friends know?"

There was a short pause.

Then, "He never told you?" His mother asked gently.

"Tell me what?"

"Kyousuke doesn't have friends at school..."

"..."

"So, he really didn't..." Another sigh. "Kyousuke's not very good at making friends. The other kids found him... strange."

"..."

"He's always loved soccer, you know this. But he isn't very good at it." His father continued. "Kids who didn't like soccer avoided him, while those who do made fun of him. Yuuichi has been the only person he could truly open up to and have fun with."

"... So that's why they're always playing together every weekend instead of hanging out with friends in their age?"

"Yes. Well, Yuuichi didn't have the same problem. He has friends at school and he does occasionally stop by his friends' houses on the way home, but he always keeps his weekends free to keep Kyousuke company."