Sazanaara III

There's definitely something weird about this match. With her powers still activated, Shindou's thoughts became audible to her as well. We're not able to take back the ball at all. Are they really keeping their word and not looking at our thoughts? But if they are looking... His gaze turned to their brunette forward. Why is Matatagi the only one able to get the ball? But then, right before Matatagi reaches the goal, they make sure to bring him down. What are they thinking?!

Just as Kimiko was about to mentally compliment Shindou for his sharp observations, Matatagi was roughly tackled. The two responsible stood above him and said something, but she wasn't able to hear what it was. The commentator, Ducksgun, was speaking over them.

"Sazanaara has stopped moving! Aren't they going to attack? Matatagi lays prostrate on the ground, unmoving!"

The others ran to check up on him just as he started getting up again.

"Matatagi, you're not hurt, are you?" Tenma asked.

"Y-Yeah..."

Then, Powai suddenly burst out laughing. "Oh, come on! 'You're not hurt are you?', 'Yeah...'. You're talking to each other as if you're friends!"

"'As if' we're friends?" Tetsukado repeated.

"What are you talking about?" Manabe questioned.

"Quit playing your little game of friendship already. And you!" She pointed at Matatagi. "If you have something that's on your mind, say it out loud!"

... Oh. Oh, that's what they were doing. Kimiko kept her mouth shut as she watched. As cruel as it was to think this way at the moment, she was just glad that it wasn't her that they were reading.

"We're able to see crystal clear what you're thinking. This is how you've always thought about them!" Powai began to mimic Matatagi's voice. "'You guys keep dragging me down.', 'I'm not able to bring out my abilities because you're all worthless.'."

The others turned to him in surprise. The enemy team were all smirking.

"You don't trust anyone." Powai continued. "'Even if I left it to these guys, they can't get the ball back. There's no point expecting them to do anything right.', 'Stop acting like you're my friends!'."

"M-Matatagi..."

The brunette took some steps away from them, finally, openly showing his glare. "What's with you guys?! That's right! That's the kind of person I am! But what of it?! People can't be trusted!" His tone changed, becoming even more sure of himself. "That's right! I've never trusted any of you even once! Why are you guys able to put your trust in total strangers?! I'm not that naive! I just kept acting like I was a good guy! That's me! That's Matatagi Hayato! I won't let any of you criticize me for who I am!"

Well... He's got a point. Kimiko didn't know his past, and, truthfully told, she wasn't interested in how he came to become who he is now, but she did agree with him. After all, the last time she placed all her trust on someone she didn't really know, it resulted in the giant scar on her back.

"There's nothing to criticize." Tenma suddenly said, offering his usual, sweet smile. "I'd been feeling that there was some part of you that didn't trust us. But why did you hide that? Why did you try to show yourself as a good person in front of us?"

"Why...? Because that's the mature thing to do."

"No."

?

"You hated yourself, didn't you?"

Wha?! Tenma, that's

"The truth is, you wanted to trust us, but you hated yourself for being unable to do that. You pretended because you want to be closer to us than anyone. You want to trust your friends more than any of us, isn't that what you're thinking?"