Interval 4 - Insomnia

His eyes opened to the sound of sobbing. Turning to the source, he found his friend twisting and turning rather violently on the bed.

"Kimiko...!" He quickly got up and sat beside her, trying to shake her awake. "Hey, wake up! It's just a nightmare!"

"N-No... Stop... Please...!" More tears were falling. His voice wasn't getting through at all.

"Hey!" He hesitated in shaking her too much. Her wound was still open after all. "Damn it... What should―"

An idea came to mind.

An incredibly stupid and inappropriate idea.

He racked his brain for anything else, but nothing came. Only that one stuck to him.

No other choice, huh... He sighed, not willing to believe he was going through with it. "I am so sorry for this...!"

A hand landed on the side of her head, stopping her from tossing it about. Then, he leaned above her and pressed his lips on hers.

He didn't know if it was out of surprise or because she realized she suddenly couldn't breathe, but it did the trick. He pulled away when he felt her jolt awake.

Her purple eyes were wide. "K-Kyou...?"

He felt his cheeks heating up and turned away. "S-Sorry! Y-You wouldn't wake up... no matter what I did, s-so..."

"Kyousuke..." Looking back at her, he noticed even more tears falling. But before he could apologize again, she shot up and wrapped her arms around him. Or rather, they were clinging to him. "Kyousuke... Kyousuke...!"

His hands instinctively went to hold her. W-Wha... She's not... mad? Listening to her wailing out his name made any flustered feelings he had disappear. In its place was a frown. She probably didn't even realize.

That was how bad the dream was.

"It hurts..."

His whole body stiffened. Was he holding on too tightly? His hands quickly lifted off of her. "S-Sorry..."

She shook her head, as if saying "Not that". She clung to him tighter, burying her face in his shoulder.

"It hurts... It hurts so much, Kyousuke... Everything hurts..." She repeated over and over.

He felt his own tears forming and his lips quivering. This time, he wrapped an arm around her and led his other hand to her hair to stroke it in hopes of calming her down. Slowly, but surely, it worked.

Soon, she was fast asleep again.

He was going to lay her down and move back to the futon, but she was clinging so tightly to him that he couldn't. So, he stayed beside her, holding her for the rest of the night.

When light appeared from his curtains, he noticed her eyes were also just barely opened.

"Feeling better?"

She hummed, giving a small nod.

"Want to grab something to eat?"

She shook her head.

"Staying here?"

Another nod.

"Do you mind if I go see nii-san first?"

Her hand lifted off of him. "Go ahead... I'll catch up later..."

With a nod, he patted her head before going off to shower. After that, he checked on her one last time before heading out.

"Oh, Kyousuke, good morning!" His father greeted. He tried to reply but was cut off by a yawn, earning a chuckle. "Didn't get much sleep?"

He gave the best smile he could. "No, not really..."