Team. Genuinely.

"Where's Tsurugi?" Were the first words Shindou found himself saying that morning.

"He called Tenma earlier to say he wanted to practice alone today." Aoi explained.

"I see." Must be one of those days...

This wasn't the first time the younger striker had asked to practice alone. There were quite a few instances during Holy Road, and even their time-traveling days.

They were always unpredictable. Sometimes it was because he was in an aggressive mood, so he'd play alone to not hurt anyone. Sometimes it was because he couldn't bear to be around too many people, so he'd go to some place that's quiet. Sometimes, he simply wanted to lose himself in his thoughts. Recently, the latter has been most of the case.

They all knew why.

He'll be back later. For now, we should―

"Shindou-san." Tenma suddenly called. "Can I ask you to look over Matatagi and Sakura's training?"

"What about you?"

"I'll go talk with the others."

It took everything in him not to facepalm. This boy was just too stubborn sometimes. But... That was also why he acknowledged him as captain. Holding back a sigh, he nodded. "Okay."

Right when we need to be focusing on fighting the world... He looked over the two who were with him. I ought to at least do something about these two, or else this team has no future.

~~~~~

Tsurugi did not enjoy lying.

But he also knew that, to get through life, he does have to lie sometimes.

In this case, he had to, else his senior would without a doubt blow up on him for practicing with their amateur goalkeeper.

In all honesty, Ibuki wasn't all that hard to score against, but the fact that someone was in goal at all was definitely more challenging than him scoring goals all by himself. And the white haired boy was serious about practice. The arrangement was beneficial to them both.

Afternoon came by in a flash. Scoring what may be his hundredth-something goal, he nodded to himself. "That's it for today―"

"Not yet!" The other boy cut off, standing back up. "I'm not satisfied yet! Come on!"

You're at your limit. He wanted to say, but―

"You're the only one on this team with the most powerful shoot, right? It's not practice if I'm not stopping the strongest shoot we have!"

That spirit sure is something. "Okay then. I won't hold back."

"Just how I want it!"

The look the goalkeeper had easily told him he was thinking of Shindou underestimating him. His heart wasn't in the right place, but at the moment, Tsurugi was just grateful he wanted to practice at all.

~~~~~

After breakfast the next morning, the four from Raimon were surprised that the other eight were all on the pitch.

"Why?! Tenma, what did you say to them?" Aoi asked excitedly.

However, for once, Tenma didn't share it. "I wrote everyone an email, telling them that we're deciding who can drop out of the team."

Their jaws dropped at that.

"You made that up to get everyone to come here, right?" Even though he asked, Tsurugi himself couldn't believe it. Tenma didn't enjoy lying either.