Their Reason To Fight

Of course, the first person to get angry at their coach for keeping such a large secret is Shindou, but he was immediately shot down, as usual. It didn't help that both Gouenji and Kidou, the latter who had been waiting in front of their meeting room for their return, said that they were involved in making that decision. The blonde chairman continued to explain how much of a struggle it was to find the right members and coach for this situation, as no one in their right minds would ever believe such a thing.

"But then, he appeared. Someone that I couldn't believe was alive."

"So the rumors are true. Coach Kuriowa Ryuusei." Shindou stated. "You are really... the emperor of darkness who menaced the soccer world in the past, Kageyama Reiji."

They couldn't hide their shock from that. The eight of them who had only recently started soccer were surprised that such a person exists, while Tenma, Tsurugi, and Aoi could only stare with their mouths agape at what they were hearing. They've heard quite a few stories of him from their coach and his old teammates, and even more from their teammate, his very own nephew, Kageyama Hikaru. While they knew he had his own way of loving and facing soccer, many of his deeds were unforgivable. But the man died ten years ago.

Or at least, that's what they were all made to think.

"I was used as an experiment for a new unapproved drug... And strangely enough, came back from the dead. The trouble was that for the past ten years, I've had to fake being a dead man."

Shindou, who had been standing since his rant, fell back to his seat, unable to speak.

"When we learned that Earth was on the verge of life or death, we needed someone who accepted this as fact and could lead a team." Gouenji said, putting them back on track to their original topic. "The very man who arrived for this was Kageyama Reiji who returned from the grave, now as Kuroiwa Ryuusei."

"Coach Kuroiwa, please tell us. Why did you choose these members?" Shindou finally asked again. "You needed a team that must fight while bearing the future of Earth on their shoulders. Why these members?"

"He's right." Tsurugi said. "It's true that each of them have great potential, but there are other players who are more suitable for this than these members."

Trainer Funaki turned to their coach as well, curious of his answer. It seemed that out of all the adults standing before them, only he didn't know the true weight of their situation. Even Mizukawa, who was standing beside him, seemed like she knew everything. And Kimiko, who was beside her, was also told the details upon her return.

"Very well. Ever since that day when I looked death in the face, I've become able to see something I couldn't before." He began. "That is the beast that sleeps inside of people."

"Beast...?"

"Although it is faint, I am able to see the beast power that lurks within people. It is the very gene that this planet carries. A power that only creatures of this planet possess.

Tenma's eyes widened. "Then, what happened with Konoha during the match..."

"In ancient times, it was what we called a spiritual essence." Kidou stated.

"The power sleeping in Morimura's DNA has begun to awaken." Their coach continued. "By coming in contact with others who possess the genes of their planet, her self-defense instincts are awakening the beast power within her."

"There's a beast... inside of me...?"

"All eleven of you here possess a great power that can help you fight species from other planets."

Their captain looked down at his own hands. "We... have that kind of power..."

"We leave the final decision to you." Gouenji said, and immediately, Shindou turned to the brunette beside him.