Promises

The next kickoff was theirs, and they all followed Nishiki's lead up the field. Almost immediately after, he was surrounded by the enemy players.

Kimiko waited for a few more of their own members to get through, making sure her friend was already quite a ways ahead. Then, she locked gazes with his senior.

"Nishiki-san!"

"Yeah!"

The ponytailed boy passed the ball to her.

"Oh?" Garo moved in front of her with a smirk. "Are you volunteering to be our new playmate?"

She gave a small smile. "Something like that."

"Then let's see how long you last!"

She had only blinked once and he was suddenly right in front of her. Before she could even think, something hit her on the stomach and pushed her back. She managed to stay on her feet, only holding the part that was kicked.

"You don't fall so easily either I see." Her opponent laughed, the ball under his foot. "Oh, we're going to have lots of fun with you."

"I'm not here for your amusement!" She charged at him, aiming to take it back, but he kicked it to the same spot he kicked her. "Ack―!"

"Kimiko!"

"I'm fine, I'm fine!" She didn't know who called out, but she had to at least pretend she was alright to all of them. So Protocol Omega wouldn't be disappointed, and so her friends wouldn't worry. "I'm going to protect soccer with everyone...!"

But no matter how steady her voice was, it was clear to everyone how much her legs were shaking. Still, she tried to take the ball back again.

He dodged her easily, a smug grin on his face. "Too slow! What's with that? You call that soccer?" His leg went far back, gathering energy for a power shot. "This is how you play soccer!"

She stood her ground. Though she didn't know if it was because she was confident she could stop it or because she was too afraid to move. Either way, the impact sent her flying, nearly landing on her head.

"Kimiko!"

"What's wrong? Is that it?"

I... I have to protect soccer too... But I... She looked up at the one looming above her before shutting her eyes tight. I can't... It's happening again... I'm not going to make it...

"What a shame. I thought you were going to be a better challenge, but you're just like your pathetic captain over there."

Something inside her snapped. "...What?"

"Oh, did that strike a nerve?" He sneered. "He can't keep the team together in the first place, and just after taking a small hit or two, he can barely kick the ball. Your captain is weak and useless!"

"Why you..." She held her pendant as she stood up, glaring at him. "Don't you dare insult Kyousuke!"

She tried again, this time much more aggressively. It was like all the hesitation had disappeared. But it wasn't enough, and she was kicked back to the exact same spot as before.

"Kimiko!" That was for sure all of her friends' voices, with her best friend being the loudest and most worried.

Stupid Kimiko, what were you thinking?! Her own voice yelled at her from the back of her head. You can't do anything for them! You're just dragging them down even more!

"You really think you can, as you say, 'protect soccer' with that sort of play?"

Kyousuke... As she sat up, her teary eyes met with his worried ones. I'm so sorry... But I...