Past That Makes Us

He woke up with a start.

Off all the stupid things to dream about...!

~~~~~

"Did you find him?"

"No... He wasn't in his room."

When their captain said so, all their heads went down.

"I've checked the other places that he used to spend the most time around. The library, the balcony, the open halls... However..." Minel trailed off.

Lalaya frowned. "He didn't come by the throne room at all either..."

"Running away from the match..." Matatagi clicked his tongue. "...isn't possible, huh?"

"There's no way! Tsurugi isn't like that!" Shinsuke defended.

"Besides, after what happened with Kimiko..."

Aoi didn't need to finish that. They all knew.

Before anyone could say anything else, rapid footsteps approached them. Katora and Potomuri appeared from the other end of the hall, rushing as they called out to them.

"Tenma! Everyone! One of the guards spotted Tsurugi early this morning! He left the castle!"

"They said he was heading in the direction of the station!"

"Then, that means...!"

"He's in the Galaxy Nauts Gou!"

"Let's go!"

"Wait!" Lalaya called out, stopping them just as they were about to run out the lobby. "Take one of our gondolas. It's faster, and that way, you'll have private transportation ready to get you to the stadium too!"

"E-Eh? But... we don't know how to..."

"I'll go with you."

"Potomuri!"

The half-scientist-half-manager turned to the other aliens. "Minel-san, I entrust Princess Katora's safety in your hands."

"Understood. I will protect both our queen and your princess with my life!"

"Thank you." He then nodded at the rest of them. "Everyone, let's go!"

They rushed to the first gondola they found and went back to their train as fast as they could. Landing beside the station, they hopped out and ran straight in. Kamata greeted them in surprise, not expecting the sudden influx of people, but when she heard who they came for, she led them to the Black Room with a wry smile.

"Tsurugi doesn't seem like himself all morning. No, he didn't. What in the galaxy happened?"

"It's... a long story..."

And frankly, none of them were sure on how to start it.

"It must be." Luckily, she didn't press further. "Whatever it is, I hope everything works out in today's match."

"Thank you, Aunty!"

"Of course, of course!" They stopped at the door and she gave them a nod. "Well, I'll leave him to you all."

"Right." Tenma took a deep breath, preparing himself for anything he would find. "Here goes."

He opened the door, everyone else peering over him.

... They did not expect to find their ace striker surrounded by five large cannons. His face was completely devoid of any emotion.

"That's―!"

One fired and he jumped to avoid it. Another followed and shot while he was still in the air.

"Tsurugi!"