SIDE GO: A Glimmer of Hope

While all the other children ate, she had locked herself in her room, working on a proposal. If her friend wouldn't listen to her, then she'll just have to find another way to protect him.

Right as she finished, knocks came from her door.

Closing the mini-laptop she had borrowed, she went to the door, her eyes widening when she saw who was on the other side. "Kyou...?!"

His eyes wouldn't meet hers, finding the floorboard more interesting. Upon closer look, she noticed his clothes were just a little dirty and that he held a small plastic bag in one hand.

He probably just came back from eating outside again. Still, his presence right in front of her door confused her. Especially since their argument was just over an hour ago. She wasn't sure how she was supposed to greet him since his last words were for her to leave him alone.

"... Can I... come in...?" He finally said, breaking the tense silence.

"Um... Sure..." She moved out of the way for him and closed the door as soon as he stepped in. He stopped in the middle of the room, his back turned to her, which only increased the awkwardness in the atmosphere. "Uh... Sorry for the tight space...?"

Unlike his room, which was meant to fit a whole team, hers was meant for a single person only. It had only one bed, one desk, one wardrobe, and one bathroom. She didn't have a private kitchen either.

He didn't say anything and simply stood there, and it made her all the more nervous. "D-Do you need something or―"

"Here." He was suddenly facing her, shoving the bag into her hands. "You haven't eaten so I... snatched a few extras..."

"H-Huh?" Peeking inside, she found a small lunch box with onigiri in it. "You... got these for me...?"

"I just..." He took in a deep breath and let it out as a sigh. "Look, about earlier, I... I acted like a jerk when you're just worried about me... Sorry."

She was too stunned to speak. Getting nothing but a blink for a reaction, he started fumbling his words even more.

"After you left... I went to the hall on my own and... and... I ate outside to calm down... I was half expecting you to come too, so when you didn't I... Well..."

He got worried.

"I went back to the cafeteria and... asked the staff if they saw you... when they said no, I just... grabbed those without thinking... I-If you ended up skipping a meal because of me, then I... I wouldn't―"

Before she knew it, she had placed the box on her desk and tackled him in a hug. "Thanks, Kyou! I'll eat them before I sleep."

His eyes widened. "Y-You're not mad...? After all that?"

"Of course not." Letting go, she showed him a smile. "I told you, I'm only worried about you. And I'm sorry too if I said anything that's out of line."

"N-No... You didn't... I over-reacted, that's all." He sighed. "I think... I think you're right that something's wrong... I can't tell what it is exactly, but... I feel like my temper's gotten... a lot shorter. And... Everything that used to make me happy is just... It's all just irritating me now, but I don't know why..."

"Kyousuke..."

She knew already. He had been broken to pieces and was deep in a self-made hell, with nothing but his fears, hatred, and despair surrounding him. But there was no way to tell him that without getting backlash from him.

So, she'll have to go through with her plan.

Starting with getting him off the island.

"Kyousuke, I just got an email from the Holy Emperor." His eyes widened, earning a nod. "Yeah, it's your dispatch order. You'll be leaving the island first thing tomorrow morning. Your first day at Raimon is the day after."

"Any orders on what I should do once I'm there?"

She kept herself from biting her lip. Then, she lowered her tone. "'On the day of the opening ceremony, head to the soccer club and destroy it.'"

His eyes widened, but that was the reaction she expected.

"That's what the Holy Emperor Ishido Shuuji expects from you. Kuroki-san and I will both be there on that day too. But for tomorrow, you should just take the day off."

"And make up a believable story about my time here to explain to my parents, I guess."

"Ahaha... Yeah, that too."

"Right... Guess I better start packing then. What time?"

"You'll take the first boat, so be at the docks by six in the morning."

"Got it. See you then." He left the room with a wave.

"See you." The moment the door closed, she sighed. Eying the box of food, a small smile made its way to her face. "Looks like there's still hope after all..."

She sat back by her desk and opened the laptop again.

She just has to fix her own mistakes.

~~~~~

"Have a safe trip home, Kyou."

"Yeah, you too."

Only when Inazuma Town's station was out of sight did she let her smile drop. She headed to the city, where Fifth Sector's main headquarters was. Showing her pass to the front desk, she hopped on the elevator to the top floor.

There, she came face to face with the man on the throne.

"I see you've returned." He said. "Welcome back, Kimiko. I trust your trip was fruitful?"

She nodded. "Tsurugi Kyousuke had finished his training. He's ready to execute your orders tomorrow."

"Perfect." He was about to dismiss her, but the look in her eyes told him she wasn't there just to report. "Is there anything else?"

"I have the official contract ready."

"Contract?"

"If you remember, Tsurugi Kyousuke got in touch with Kuroki Zenzou-san through me. There was no official record of him joining Fifth, so I took on the responsibility to make the papers."

She held up the bundle and he signaled for one of his staff to hand it to him.

He skimmed quickly, his eyes widening slightly in one section before returning to normal. "And... you signed this on his behalf?"

She nodded. "I did. I'll be representing him in all official matters."

"... Including the punishment should he ever turn against us?"

"Yes."

His eyes narrowed. Kimiko. What are you planning?

She did her best to suppress a smile. His betrayal.

And all that came after was history.

History... that was about to be changed.

~~~~~~~~~~

SIDE GO: FIN.

Look forward to Chrono Stone, everyone! :)