Two Faced Dragon

They tried a more practical kind of training. A mini offense versus defense match between the forwards and defense. Shindou joined the four defenders and goalkeeper while all the other midfielders went with Tsurugi and Matatagi.

Aoi couldn't help but smile when she saw them. Especially... "Sakura sure has changed. She was always a cheerful person, but now she looks so much more alive."

"Indeed." Mizukawa stated with her usual blank expression. Suddenly, the coach stood up to leave, and she went to tail him as usual.

Aoi's gaze dropped, a pang of loneliness hitting her before shaking her head and focusing back on the match.

Throughout the game, while there were scuffles here and there, they all encouraged one another to keep on going. It was a good change.

But it was still a small one.

Just as she and Tenma finished complimenting them, Shindou came over and shot them all down. "They may have gotten more or less better, but they're still beginners."

"Shindou-san..." Tenma gave him his usual smile. "But it was Matatagi's speed, and Sakura's pass that helped us score the tying shoot with Korea and the winning goal against Australia, isn't it? Also, Ibuki blocked a shoot in the Australia match."

"Regardless. Ibuki still has much to improve on as goalkeeper, and Minaho, Manabe, and Morimura's abilities are still unknown. Kusaka can't even receive a pass properly yet."

"Maybe, but―"

"Tenma. The world isn't that easy."

Without letting him get another word in, their senior walked away.

Tenma casted his gaze down in thought before quickly shaking his head, telling himself that "It'll work out somehow." Aoi smiled as she watched him head inside and was about to follow, but stopped when she noticed Tsurugi standing behind them.

She was sure a small smirk just left his face. "What?"

He shook his head. "I didn't say anything."

"You had a look on you, though..."

"What look?"

Since he genuinely looked confused, she decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Letting it slide, she followed the others in.

~~~~~

"Our opponent for the quarterfinals has been determined." Their coach started after breakfast the next day. "It's Saudi Arabia's team, Shamshir."

"Their speed and destructive power, not only individually but also as a unified team, is near number one champion in offense." Mizukawa continued. "Their play style involves persistently attacking their opponents' weak points until they're brought down. Thus, they are feared as Arabia's lions."

"Starting tomorrow, we will make adjustments for our Saudi match." He said. "For now, you are dismissed. Spend the rest of your day freely."

"Eh?"

"Use this opportunity to absorb yourselves in things other than soccer."

That was the last thing they expected their coach to say days before an important match.

But I guess... Breaks are alright every once in a while. Tsurugi thought as he heard all the others talking about how they would spend their day. He gave it some more thought as he walked out, considering all his options. He could take the train and visit his brother, maybe see how the others at Raimon were doing with Tenma if he wanted to, go to the park and get some ice cream since he hadn't had any in a while, or...