Chapter 148 (Ronnie/Emory)

I stay silent until the kids are dropped off. I do my best to clear my throat before telling Callum about Hailey.

"Hailey's in the hospital," I begin quietly. "They don't know what's going on but she was bleeding."

Callum's face drains of color and he looks to Marie. I can see the internal debate within his mind.

"I'm going back," I state, "Hailey won't know what to do if Emory has a breakdown. I've lived with him long enough to know what to do. Johnny's been made aware and he already booked me a flight for tonight. I understand if you want to stay here."

Callum's gorgeous blue eyes gloss over as he looks at me. I can tell that he wants to go, but I can tell that he wants to stay. His siblings need him more than his best friend does. I hold his hand and gently run my thumb over his knuckles.

When we arrive back at the house I grab my bag and call a taxi. Callum is too distraught to even offer to drive me to the airport. I text my brother and inform about my departure. I just hope Hailey didn't lose the baby.

Emory's POV

Without hesitation I hit the nurse button on the wall. I kiss Hailey's hand and hold back tears. I can't seem to find the words to tell her that the baby is in emergency surgery. As Hailey's eyes fill with worry, a nurse comes in.

"Hello," he begins, "my name is Mike. How are you feeling?"

"I'm a little tired," Hailey replies, "where's my baby?"

"The babies are coming out of surgery now," Mike states calmly.

"Wait," I interject, "babies?"

"Yes," Mike replies, "they're twins. You two are parents to a little boy and a little girl. Congratz!"

Tears form in Hailey's eyes. I can she's worried about the babies, but I can also see how happy she is. If I thought being a father to one child was hard, being a father to twins will be worse.

Mike checks Hailey's vitals before leaving to go get her some ice chips and a new IV bag. Without thinking, I let fo of Hailey's hand and leave the room. I pull out my phone and dial the only person that I know would let me vent.