Chapter 72 (Ronnie)

"Knuckles are from boxing," I tell Johnny. I look down at my knuckles as my brother enters the room. It's rare for me to box anymore, but Johnny knows that when I do box it's not good.

"What did you do," Johnny asks as he pulls Callum out of bed.

"I hurt your sister," he replies quietly.

"Wait," I interject before the first punch can be thrown. "We were at a bar and he kept drooling over Diamante. She was performing there. I'm not mad at Callum. I just want him to not keep anything from me."

"That doesn't mean I don't want to punch him," my brother states.

"You can lecture us later," I roll my eyes. "He doesn't know about Patty."

"He doesn't know that you and Patty used to be engaged?"

"Johnny!" I kick my brother in the knee aggressively. I turn to face a sad Callum. His icy eyes turn gray with sadness.

"It was a long time ago," I tell him. "And he broke the engagement off. He never explained why though."

"Now I want to really kill him," Callum growls.

"Just try talking to him please," I beg. "I don't love him anymore. But it will make me smile if the two of you could get along. Patty is still a good friend."

"You still talk to him?!"

"I'm going to leave," Johnny states.

"You're staying," I demand. "You started this shit!"

"I just stated the truth," my brother defends.

"No," I growl, "you didn't let me tell the story!"

"Don't explain," Callum demands, "I think we should take a break."

"Cal-"

"-don't, Ronnie." I watch as Callum walks out of my room. I grab my brother by the collar and punch him in the nose.

"Next time," I begin, "keep your damn mouth shut." I push Johnny out of my room and slam the door shut. I slide down the door and hold my knees to my chest. Tears cascade down my face. I don't want to lose Callum, but I feel like this news might cause him to break off our engagement. I had trouble trusting men after Patty broke off our engagement. I still remember that night.

"Ronnie," Patty states, "I love you, but I can't marry you."

"Why not," I ask confused.

"I can't explain. Not yet anyways."

"Are you cheating on me?"

"Of course not! I just can't marry you!" Patty walks out of the room, leaving me hurt and confused. And it doesn't help that it's a week before we're supposed to get married.