12

I was setting the table, my father was reading the newspaper, I immediately served the soup I had prepared before sitting down opposite my father.

"I think you're getting later and later these days.

- What do you care? I said.

- I don't like it."

I stifle a laugh before taking a sip of my soup and answering my father.

"Liam left me so he doesn't pick me up after work anymore, so I walk home which takes four times as long."

My dad starts laughing, almost choking on his soup before he speaks.

"He was right to leave you that Liam, who would want to stay with you?"

I immediately look down, remaining silent. I was very upset by his words.

"Work more, bring more money home.

- Why? Because you miss three-quarters of your work days so I have to make up for your bullshit? I refuse. I say.

- It's your fault. If your mother hadn't died because of YOUR FAULT we'd never be in this mess.

- My fault?! My fucking fault?! Don't blame me for Mom's death because I had nothing to do with it, okay?

- Of course you did! If you had never gotten on that bike and crashed your mom would never have needed to ride to the hospital like her life depended on it and she never would have gotten in that accident."

My father stood up, banging his point against the table, I flinch.

"You think when I got on that bike I knew I was almost going to lose my life?!" I say as I stand up.

My father walks over to me, pointing his index finger at me.

"Well I wish it had been you instead of your mom! Or your friend who was driving that motorcycle."

The flashbacks suddenly return, my eyes blurring before tears begin to well up.

"Thank God your friend Billy paid for his actions!"

I frown, knowing exactly what my father was getting at, I point my index finger at him.

"If you finish your sentence...

- Billy died to pay for your mother's life!"

That was too much. He was out of line, my blood boiled inside. I then pushed my father.

"Don't say that you bastard! Billy died that night as a hero!

- A hero?! He died miserably in a fire Cassie!"

I stifle a laugh before speaking up, wiping away my tears.

"You don't know what really happened that night. You don't know!"

I rest my gaze on my father before stepping closer to him.

"I swear, if you disrespect Billy again, I will..."

My dad slaps me. My cheek began to burn, I felt a painful tingling. I instinctively put my hand on my cheek before I heard my father yell.

"What are you going to do you little bitch?!"

He violently grabs my hair, pulling it back before throwing me to the ground, I scream in pain before my father starts beating me. He was beating me bloody.

"What will you do huh?! Tell me!"

I was screaming in pain, calling for help, begging my dad to stop before grabbing my knife that was lying on the table, I then throw it blindly at my dad before I hear him scream in pain, I take the opportunity to get up and run to my room where I locked myself in.

My father threw himself on it, knocking on it, shouting at me to open it. I start to sob before slowly letting myself fall against my door with fatigue.

I closed my eyes, listening to the sounds of my sobs, the door shaking and my father's screams.