67.

I had just arrived in front of the cemetery after Dustin pointed out their positions. I pulled up right behind Steve's car seeing the three friends by the car, Lucas was sitting on it, Dustin was standing outside and Steve was sitting in the driver's seat. I turn around and see Max sitting cross-legged in front of Billy's grave, the place I used to go to often to talk to Billy, hoping he would hear me. I get out of the car and walk towards the others, leaning against the car, crossing my arms against my chest.

"Where have you been? Steve asks.

- Gone to see Eddie." I say simply.

I look down, biting my inner cheek before I hear Steve speak up.

"You... You spoke?"

I look up in surprise before turning my gaze to Steve, dipping my eyes into his.

"No... Not really. I don't want him to ruin everything I have..." I suddenly stop.

I then look over the car before I look down, immediately closing in on myself and Steve notices. He then rests his arm against the window opening.

"You have what?" He asks.

I shake my head from side to side, frowning so he doesn't worry.

"God Cass... What have you done?"

I hate that Steve is so perceptive. He knew something was wrong. I then plunge my gaze into his and speak up.

"What? Nothing. Absolutely nothing." I say.

I try to reassure him and convince him that I had done nothing. Even if it wasn't the truth. Steve looks down at my waist as he notices my dad's gun, then sweeps his gaze over my dad's car right behind. He sighs, then speaks up.

"Whatever. Here."

He pulls out a letter before handing it to me. My name was written large on it. I frown as I grab the envelope.

"What is this? I ask as I inspect the piece of paper.

- A letter Max wrote for you. We all have one. Read it when... When the time is right." He says.

I look again at my name written on the envelope the black ink still fresh. I sigh as I then look at Max sitting across the grave with a letter in her hands and I immediately understand what Max was doing. I sigh long and deep.

"God." I say.

I then tuck the letter into my pants pocket. This situation was breaking my heart. I don't really know how to feel. I don't know how we're going to save Max either. And I've been stressing out all day, afraid that when I get back, Steve, Dustin and Lucas will tell me that Max is dead. And when I'm around her, I'm afraid he's going to take her from me. Like he took Chrissy.

Steve looks impatient, gently tapping his index finger against the car, shaking his leg. And I can see why he's so stressed. We all are. Steve looks at his watch before speaking up as he gets out of the car.

"All right that's good. It's been long enough.

- Steve wait! I say.

- Just give her some time. Lucas says.

- I have, alright Sinclair? I'm calling it. She wants to get a lawyer, she can." He says.

I sigh, rolling my eyes as I watch Steve walk off towards Max up the small hill. I then speak up.

"He's so stubborn."

Lucas, Dustin, and I begin to look at each other before watching Steve move towards Max calling her. We can hear Steve's voice echoing throughout the cemetery. The brunette crouches down next to the redhead laying his hand on her shoulder.

"Hey! Max wake up! Max! Wake up!" We suddenly hear Steve yelling.

I frown as I push myself out of the car, letting my arms fall to my sides. I immediately understand that something is wrong.

"Oh something's wrong. Says Sinclair.

- Holy fuck."

Steve calls us. Without a second thought we go straight to them, we run up the hill. We arrive near them, I see Max looking sleepy, she is shaking. I squat down next to her.

"Max? Max wake up!" I say.

We start to shake her to wake her up but nothing works.

"Max! You got to get out of here! Can you hear
me?" Dustin yells.

Steve suddenly grabs Dustin's sweater before ordering him to call Nancy and Robin with the talkie-walkie. Dustin complies by falling backwards, rolling a few feet. The young man gets up and runs towards the car.

After a few minutes, I see Dustin running in with dozens and dozens of audio cassettes of various artists or bands. He crouches down in front of us dropping the dozens of tapes.

"What the fuck Dustin ?! I say.

- What is this? Asks Lucas.

- What's her favorite song? Asks Dustin ignoring Lucas' words.

- Why?! Why?! Asks Lucas again.

- Robin said if she listens... It's too much to explain now. What's her favorite song?!" Dustin yells at us.

We all look at each other confused, I then look at the tapes on the floor before speaking.

"I don't know! Do I look like her mother?

- You don't know?!" Said Dustin.

I shake my head from side to side. Steve in turn says he has no idea. And there's very little chance that his favorite music is among all those tapes.

"I know! Kate Bush!" Says Lucas.

He starts to rummage through the tapes looking for the Kate Bush tape. Lucas finally finds it, opens the tape, hands it to Steve who puts it in the player before activating it. Dustin then puts the headphones on Max's ears. A few seconds pass before Maxine starts to get up. More like hovering.

We then stand back watching the redhead in the air a few feet off the ground. We then stand up. My heart beats a thousand times an hour, I sweat, I tremble, I am afraid.

"Max!" We all shout his name.

She suddenly starts shaking before falling, Lucas catches her instantly. Max breathes quickly, I can feel her heart beating fast. I immediately feel relieved. She was safe, we saved her.

"God."

author's note
hiii!! i came back from vacation!<3
so i will be able to post every day and not just once every two days!!!<333

i hope you liked this chapter, BUT prepare yourself for the next chapter 👀 cant wait for you to read it omg!!

im also going to disneyland on friday and saturday so i dont know if i will be able to post but i'll do what i can!!

stay safe, luv you xoxo