31

I had just finished work, I walk out of the fast food restaurant waving at my boss before seeing Eddie's car on the sidewalk across the street, I smile then before heading towards it, I open the door and get in before smiling at Eddie.

"Hi.

- Hi Jones.

- Thanks again for dropping me off, I think Steve is getting tired of having to drop me off at my house every night." I say with a laugh.

Eddie starts up before smiling and answering me.

"You're welcome, did the job go well?

- It was fine, a little tiring but yeah." I answer.

After only ten minutes we arrive in front of my house, I untie myself before getting out, Eddie joins me outside. I turn to him.

"Thanks a lot.

- It's nothing, good night Jones." He says.

I smile softly before standing there. Deep down I was hoping he would say something else but nothing, silence reigned. I see him slowly scratching the back of his neck.

"Thanks, get home safe." I say.

Eddie smiles softly at me, I then slowly turn my back before I start walking towards my door, I look to Eddie one last time, seeing if he would change his mind and maybe tell me what I would like to hear, but nothing.

I then open my door before closing it behind me, looking angry and disappointed. I'm getting too many ideas, why would he tell me that he likes me? It's obvious that he doesn't. But why does he act like that with me if he is not interested in me?

I lean against my door before going in the kitchen. I look discreetly through my window before I see Eddie leave.

Eddie's POV

I watch Cassie walking towards her house, I hesitated to call her and tell her everything, but something blocked me, a kind of fear. I see her turn around one last time and then continue to walk until she enters.

I turn around and go back to my car before getting in, I tie myself up before looking ahead. What a jerk I am. I take one last look towards Cassie's house before speaking up.

"I'm so stupid."

I should just let it go and not say anything to her, wait for my feelings to go away and pretend like nothing happened. I then start the car before driving off and heading towards my house. I park my van in front of the mobile home before getting out and coming home. I find my uncle lying on the couch watching TV.

"What were you doing out so late? he asks.

- I was dropping Jones off at her house after work.

- Cassie? I like that little one. You should ask her out on a date sometime."

I stifle a laugh as I take off my jean jacket before answering my uncle.

"No, I don't think she'd say yes. I don't like her anyway.

- You're lying to yourself right now. There's no way you wouldn't like her, she's pretty and she looks smart.

- Mhm, good night Wayne." I said.

I then leave in the direction of my room before closing the door, I then turn on my audio cassette player before hearing the tunes of Put Your Head On My Shoulder by Paul Anka. I then blow before taking out the tape.

I look at it for a few seconds, thinking about Cassie. Maybe I should throw this tape away, even though I bought it three weeks ago and I listen to it all the time. I then put it back in its place before taking a random tape from Scorpion and putting it in the audio player.