71.

It was dark, I think my wound has stopped bleeding even though it still hurts. I don't really know how I'm going to get around like this.

"What do we do now? I ask.

- We should wait here until the sun comes up and then we'll find your talkie-walkie." Suggests Eddie.

That was a pretty good idea, if we find the talkie-walkie then we'll get back in touch with the others, the only problem is that my talkie-walkie is literally in the car that's at Rick's house where Patrick died, and so in this case where it's already swarming with cops.

"We can't. We have to find another one.

- Why?

- The talkie-walkie is in the car." I say.

Eddie sighs as he lets an expletive escape from his mouth. He then sits down next to me before laying his head against a huge rock behind us.

"Eddie?

- Mhm?" He answers.

I put my head down before twiddling my fingers, I really wanted to tell him everything. Because keeping this a secret was a big weight on my shoulders and I felt the need to get it all out. I can feel my throat getting tight and my stomach getting heavy just thinking about it.

"My... My father is dead." I say.

I feel Eddie's gaze turn to me, he remains silent for a few seconds and then speaks up.

"Oh... I... I'm sorry.

- No Eddie you don't understand... I totally screwed up." I say.

I put my hand against my forehead massaging it. I immediately feel tears running down my cheeks, Eddie then puts his hand on my shoulder to comfort me, certainly waiting for me to continue talking.

"Eddie... I... I killed him. I shot him." I say.

I then look at Eddie, diving into his eyes. He looked surprised and shocked. But I couldn't read any glimmer of fear or disgust in his eyes, relieving me a little.

"You... You killed him? Do you want to talk about it?

- I don't know... Honestly, I got rid of him with a purpose."

Eddie then places his hand on my cheek. I feel his cold rings caress my skin making me shiver slightly.

"What purpose, Cassie?" He asks.

I then look down, Eddie takes a strand of my hair before tucking it behind my ear. I don't really know how I can admit to him that I just wanted to get away from here with him because our chances of proving him innocent were minimal, almost nonexistent.

"Eddie... After all this, let's get away. Let's get away from here. Let's leave everything behind." I said.

I then raise my eyes to his, meeting his gaze. He was surprised. I feel his thumb caress my cheek, drying a few tears.

"You... You did this for me?" He asks.

I give him a long look, before nodding my head somewhat hesitantly. Eddie immediately wraps his arms around my shoulders taking me in his arms. I started to sob, even though the warmth of his body comforted me a little. I felt relieved. Eddie wasn't running away, on the contrary, I think he understands me. Maybe he thinks it wasn't the best thing to do but he understands me and that's the main thing and also all I asked for.

His hand passes in my hair caressing it delicately. He then places a kiss on my hair, before hearing his soft voice echoing.

"I would never run away from you."

———

The sun had risen almost an hour ago. We had a plan. There is a construction site not far from here where they must have talkie-walkies, so we would simply steal one and use it to contact Steve and the others. I was hiding behind a bush in the forest with a view of the entire construction site while Eddie was hiding behind a toilet a little further away. I immediately saw a man coming towards the toilet, putting his belt on a table near the stall, then entering the toilet.

I immediately signal Eddie to go in before the man comes out. Eddie emerges from his hiding place and heads for the table before picking up the talkie-walkie. He quietly runs away, joining me behind the bush.

"Do you have it?

- Yeah it's good. Let's get out of here." He said.

So we do it and move on before we get under a big rock, Skull Rock. We called it that because the rock that was there looked like a skull. We sit against it before Eddie looks for the frequency. I then walk away exploring the area.

There wasn't much, just trees, more rocks and leafs on the ground. I also came across a few lizards and squirrels. I then joined Eddie who still had the talkie-walkie in his hand but the antenna was off.

"Did you get through to them?

- Yeah... They're coming." He said.

I nodded my head up and down before joining Eddie on the floor. He looked worried, confused. And I understand him. I then put my hand on his shoulder, the dark-haired man raises his eyes to mine, meeting my gaze.

"Everything will be okay. I promise." I say.

Eddie nods, smiling gently at me. I understand why he feels scared, confused and angry. That's how I felt last year too. I feel Eddie's gaze move down to my neck stopping on the marks Liam had left last night.

"Was that last night?" He asks.

I feel his hand slide down my chin making me lift my face, inspecting my neck a little better.

"Yeah, Liam. But I'm fine. I say.

- Damn this guy really likes your neck too much. That's twice now." Eddie exclaims.

I stifle a laugh before lowering my face, meeting his eyes. He smiles at me charmingly, running his tongue over his cheek creating a bump. Eddie immediately speaks up.

"But he doesn't love it as much as I do."

I immediately feel my cheeks redden, my body temperature starts to rise more and more. Eddie tries to seek my gaze but I do everything to avoid it not wanting him to notice that I'm vulnerable when he flirts with me like that. I sigh and speak up.

"Shut up."