37

I was with Steve on the floor of the mall, the lights were off and the creature's muffled roar was ringing in my ears.

"This thing is never going to shut up, my ears are going to end up plugged. Steve complained.

- We've been throwing fireworks in its face for 15 minutes, when will it give up?

- I don't know, but El seems to have it under control with Billy." Steve said, pointing to the floor below.

I look down and see Billy standing over El, looking more calm and collected, Jane looked terrified, she was trying to reason with Billy, I just hope he makes it out alive.

"We should go down and help them." Steve suggests.

I nod, thinking he's probably right. Steve is about to leave but I hold him back by the arm.

"Wait! I have an idea."

I call Robin, Lucas, Max, Mike, Will, Nancy and Jonathan gathering them together.

"Ok, I have a plan, we need to burn everything down, even blow it up if you can. As many stores as you can.

- What? Why?!" Mike said.

I sighed before speaking up, explaining the why to Mike.

"If the police show up here next, will you explain to them how? Will you tell them that a creature from a parallel world swallowed some Hawkins people and came all the way here to kill Eleven?

- No? Answer Mike.

- Well, then you listen carefully to what I'm going to say."

I form a circle, they all listen to me carefully waiting for my instructions.

"Put explosives all over the stores, if you find alcohol, pour it all over the floor and set it on fire. Hopper and Joyce should have the gate closed soon, by then I want to get Jane and Billy out of this mess ok? I want them to come out safe and sound. We'll tell the policeman there was a fire, okay?

- Yeah, but what if we don't make it out alive?" Nancy said.

Everyone starts nodding, asking the same question. I have to admit that this plan is very dangerous and there's little chance that we'll all get out of it safely.

"Stop squealing! We'll all get out of this alive! Okay? I promise."

Everyone looks at me, I smile softly, giving them some hope.

"We trust you Cassie." Jonathan said.

I see Lucas slowly back away grabbing a firework box.

"Okay, where do we start?

- Hey, where do you think you're going with that? It's too dangerous for you." Says Steve.

Steve takes the box, Lucas frowns while sighing. The boy turns to me waiting for me to protest.

"Steve is right, it's dangerous, I'd rather know you're down there safely. You, Max, Mike, and Will go downstairs, stay away from the Mind Flayer, don't interfere until this bastard is dead. Nancy, Robin, Me, Steve and Jonathan will take care of the explosives."

They nod, the four kids then leave in the direction of the stairs, I quickly call out to Max, the redhead turns to me, I walk towards her.

"Everything will be fine, okay?

- Okay." She answers me by smiling.

I smile back at her as I put my hand on Maxine's shoulder, I speak up.

"I'm counting on you to keep an eye on the boys. I trust you to do that.

- It's as good as done." She winks at me.