48.

It was 6pm and I had just showered. Eddie was supposed to pick me up at 7pm to go to the Thai he had told me about. The dress I bought was on my bed and my shoes were in my closet. I also plan to put on some gold colored jewelry and curl my hair. That should do it. Just as I was about to start getting ready, my phone started ringing. Who comes to bother me on a Friday night? I walk over to the phone, pick it up and put it to my ear.

"Hello? I say.

- Cassie? It's Eddie.

- Eddie? Is there a problem?" I say confused.

Maybe he was calling to tell me he'd be a little late? I'm actually quite confused. I'm afraid of what he's about to tell me, with all the things he's done in the past few days, you can expect anything.

"Uhm... I... I have to cancel for tonight. Amber asked me to show her around the city tonight."

I immediately lower my head, jamming the phone against my ear and shoulder. I immediately grab my dress that I had laid on my bed and put it back in the closet, $45 ruined. Eddie was explaining himself but I didn't want to know, it was the last straw. I was fed up. He was telling me he was sorry but he wanted Amber to feel comfortable in Hawkins, like she was moving here. Seriously. What a load of crap. He was even going to take her to the movies. And what's the point of giving a tour of a city at night?

"No Eddie, stop. It's okay, I get it. Have a nice evening with her." I say before hanging up.

I run my fingernail between my teeth, biting it. I sit down on my bed, resting my other arm on my stomach. I bring my legs up to my chest. Everything was fine until she came along. She pisses me off. They both piss me off. Eddie makes her his priority like she's his girlfriend. I'm his girlfriend! She's not. I don't care if she's a childhood friend or his first love, I hate them. I sigh loudly feeling my throat get knotted. I feel myself forgetting, what if he doesn't like me anymore? What if he's already bored? It's been two weeks since we've been together and almost two months since we've been clearly flirting together. Didn't he get bored that quickly?

I sigh loudly before standing up and putting on a sweater with blue jeans. I tie my hair up in a bun before picking up my phone and calling Steve first, then Robin.

"Hello Steve?

- Cass? Aren't you supposed to be on your date with Eddie?

- I am, but figure that jerk cancelled to spend time with his childhood friend." I say in exasperation.

Steve sighs through the phone before complaining about spending two hours with me at the mall looking for a dress for nothing. He then says that Eddie is an idiot and will regret what he does.

"Do you want to go out with Robin? You know, go watch a movie at the theater like the old days?

- Yeah, there's a showing of Top Gun tonight. Suggest Steve.

- We've already seen it.

- But I want to see it again." He says.

I sigh, and agree. Steve calls Robin and arranges to meet her in front of her house at 6:30 to pick her up, and then he'll pick me up a few minutes later. I take some money with a purse where I put my keys in case my dad goes out tonight and locks the door.

"Where are you going?" he asks.

I walk over to him. He was sitting in the chair, his leg resting on a footstool. I think his leg is getting better. It still hurts but he can walk. We haven't talked about that night when I shot him. And it's better this way.

"I'm going out to the movies with Robin and Steve," I say simply.

My dad nods. I sigh and leave my house, waiting for Robin and Steve who should be there soon.

———

We were all at the movies. The screening for Top Gun was at 8pm, which was an hour away. We were sitting on a bench waiting and talking.

"So you're telling me that he cancelled your candlelight dinner to take his childhood friend who is also his first love to the movies? Said Robin, shocked.

- Yeah, I can't believe it." I said with a sigh.

I hear Steve sipping the Coke he had just bought while listening to our conversation. He immediately speaks up.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, but he's cheating on you.

- What? No. Eddie is not like that. I answer.

- Let's talk about it in a couple of days then." Steve said.

I roll my eyes as I take the bottle from Steve, take a sip of Coke and hand it back. Robin suddenly gasps in surprise.

"Look, it's Vickie! She's in the marching band. Robin said.

- I thought you meant my Vickie..." Steve said with a disappointed look.

I frowned, letting a judgmental look appear on my face. I speak up.

"Your Vickie? Oh please Steve... She dumped you after two dates." I say.

Robin stifles a laugh as Steve gives me a gentle kick. I immediately see two familiar figures in the distance. I recognize Eddie by his curly hair and Amber next to him. They seem to be laughing, Eddie is having fun. I watch them walk together to the counter to buy the movie tickets. Maybe we should have gone to the arcade after all, so we wouldn't run into them.

"Do you think they'll see Top Gun too? Robin asks, having noticed them too.

- I hope not." I say with a sigh.