24

I had just left work, Steve had dropped me off at home, I went straight into my room before putting my bag on my desk. I immediately see a tape on it.

I took it in my hand and noticed that it was Paul Anka's 'Put Your Head On My Shoulder'. I smile instinctively, thinking of Eddie, I lie down on my bed before looking at the tape for a few seconds.

My heart starts beating in my chest again, it was beating fast. He was listening to the music because it reminded him of me, I then slide my face into my pillows. I get up to my tape player and put the Paul Anka tape in, turn it on and go straight to do my homework.

———

I was in Steve's car with Robin, we had just arrived at the high school, we get out and walk down the hall.

"I have cheerleading practice, I'm clearly too lazy.

- It's not like you have a choice." Said Robin.

I shrug before entering the school, I immediately feel stares land on me before hearing whispers all over the main hallway.

"What are they looking at? I ask.

- Certainly not me..." Said Robin.

Steve grabs the newspaper that a student had in his hand, he immediately speaks up as he reads the front page of the school newspaper.

"Oh shit Cassie..."

I frown before Steve shows me the paper, I take it in my hands and read the front page.

'Billy Hargrove cheated on by Cassie Jones? Liam Smith's testimony.'

I frown as I stop, I then continue reading.

The late Billy Hargrove cheated on by his then-girlfriend Cassie Jones in the summer of 1985? Liam Smith will tell us his testimony about this rumor, we met the young student so he can tell us more: "I met Cassie in June 1985, we started hanging out as friends, I liked her but I knew she was with Billy Hargrove. Then one day in late June, Cassie and I slept together. She had asked me to keep it a secret until she left Billy, then Hargrove's death was. And Cassie and I officially started dating in September. Liam confides to us.'

"What the hell?!" I said.

It was bullshit, the article was super badly written too. Does the school even allow publications like this? And how could Liam afford to talk about Billy like that, he told lie after lie.

I head to the nearest trash can, passing by a group of girls before throwing the paper away. I hear the girls start talking.

"Oh the bitch... No but seriously! How could she cheat on Billy.

- Seriously, Billy was so hot. I would have never lowered my standards for Liam Smith." Said another.

A chuckle forms at the corner of my lips, I turn around before walking towards the group of girls.

"What are you guys talking about? I ask.

- Nothing, nothing!" Replies another of the girls.

They were immediately getting smaller now that I was in front of them. I started laughing before approaching the girl who had answered me.

"You think I'm stupid? Come on, tell me what you have to say instead of talking on my back."

The girl immediately looks at her friends with a worried look. She looks down.

"Yeah that's right you little cunt, look down when I talk to you."

I move a little closer to her before speaking up.

"Now I'm going to be clear with you. If I hear you talk about Billy's back or mine one more time I swear I will destroy your entire life. And if you spread any more rumors like that, expect the worst."

I smile softly before stepping back and analyzing the girl, I immediately speak up.

"The lip gloss doesn't suit you, you should try the basic lipstick."

I wink at her before walking away with a quick step. I immediately head towards the journalists' club. I enter the big room which was in the middle of a library. I immediately see Nancy, Jonathan's girlfriend and also Steve's ex-girlfriend. I already had to deal with her during the summer of 1985.

"Nancy, what the hell?!"

I walk up to her, the brunette turns confused. I then speak up before taking a copy of the newspaper.

"What's going on? She asks.

- I think I should ask you the same question... Did you authorize the publication of this article?" I say angrily.

Nancy picks up the paper, starting to read it before she widens her eyes, she starts to stammer. I then look up at the sky and sigh.

"No, I didn't authorize the publication of this...

- It seems to me that you're the editor in chief of the school though, am I wrong? I said, raising my eyebrows.

- Yes that's right but so is Fred..."

I open my mouth, if Nancy didn't authorize the publication then Fred must have done it for her, so I speak up.

"Wait, you mean Fred Benson? The four-eyed guy with the scar on his nose?

- Yeah, him."

I stifle a laugh as I run my tongue over my teeth, I set the paper down hard on the table before I start to walk away, sinking into the large club library.

"Fred fucking Benson! I swear you won't need your glasses once I rip your eyes out you bastard!"

I immediately see the young man turn around, he immediately backs away. I catch him by the collar of his shirt.

"It was Liam who pushed you to publish it huh?

- I... I don't know..."

I grab his shirt a little more, pushing him to speak, he raises his hands in front of his face in order to protect himself, he immediately talks.

"100 dollars! He paid me 100 dollars to publish it!

- 100 fucking dollars?! You're such a little bitch Benson."

I immediately let go of him before stepping back, trying to calm down, but I explode and start screaming.

"You decide to ruin my reputation and talk about my dead friend in your shitty fucking newspaper for 100 poor dollars?! Billy and I weren't even together and I met Liam in September, not June! You are so disrespectful to me, Billy and his sister Max who has been trying to grieve for months! Do you know what it's like to lose your big brother?! Your article wasn't even well written, forget the idea of being a journalist and go sell your ass on the street instead you asshole."

I immediately leave before thanking Nancy and walking out of the news club as the shocked club members look on.