41.

I was at school with Steve and Robin, I hadn't seen Eddie all day. I didn't see him in the cafeteria, I hope he's okay. The note that Billy had left in his letter kept spinning around in my head, I had several questions: how can I get his helmet back and what is in it?

I see Maxine at the end of the hallway where we were walking. And immediately, an idea crosses my mind. Maybe her sister has kept some of her things and hopefully she has his helmet? I stop, Steve and Robin turn to me.

"I'll be right back, I need to talk to someone.

- Okay." Robin shrugged.

The girl leaves first leaving Steve looking at me with a confused look. He shakes his head not wanting to understand. Steve turns his back on me and leaves to join Robin. Maxine had a headset on her ears, she was wearing two braids falling on each shoulder.

I walk towards the redhead before patting her on the shoulder. She turns around and removes her headset before widening her eyes with a surprised look, she puts her headset around her neck.

"Max? Can I ask you something?

- Uh, yeah sure?"

I was hesitant to tell her about this. I don't plan on telling her why I'm looking to find Billy's helmet, but bringing up her brother again while she's in the midst of grieving must be really annoying.

"Did you by any chance keep any of Billy's things?"

———

I was at Max's house and she had just taken out a big box full of clothes, I recognize some of Billy's stuff. She sets it on a table before stepping back.

"This is all I could get. The rest went to the flea market or was donated." She says.

I nod my head thanking her. That cardboard box was my only chance, because if his helmet isn't in there, then there's little chance I'll find it. I sigh before starting to search through the box.

"What exactly are you looking for?" She asks.

I continue to search before I feel something round and hard underneath my hand, I then grab the object before I see the helmet. A smile appears on my face. I then speak up.

"This..."

I then look inside but there was nothing. I frown... Was this a bad joke Billy played on me? If it was, it's not funny. Or maybe it's the wrong helmet? Or maybe someone figured out what was inside before I did.

I sigh before passing my hand against all the walls of the helmet before feeling a relief against the black tissue, I pass then my hand between the helmet and the fabric before feeling a small object. I then take out a key. Not any key, his motorcycle key.

I smile then. I look at the badge before seeing something written on it 'box 11' I smile before Maxine speaks up.

"Are they car keys?

- Motorcycle. Thanks a lot Max." I say.

I put the keys in my leather jacket before putting the helmet back in the box. I'm about to leave but the redhead stops me in my tracks by holding the helmet out to me with her hand.

"Uh wait... If Billy left you his bike, would it be safer for you to take his helmet too?" She said.

She was right, I stifle a laugh before taking the helmet and thanking her. I greet her and leave the mobile home with the helmet under my arm. I glance over to Eddie's place.

There were no cars there, I wonder where he went? Maybe he moved and didn't tell me? But I doubt it. I sigh before exiting Forest Hill and starting to walk downtown to the garage where Billy's bike was stored.

———

I had just picked up Billy's bike, I inserted the keys in it before putting on the helmet and climbing on. A shiver runs through my body, making me shake slightly. I wonder how my dad will react when he sees the bike. But Billy wanted me to get it back, so I do.

I sigh before starting up and beginning to ride. It was a weird feeling. I was getting back on a vehicle that had suddenly turned my life around in a matter of minutes. I'm on the motorcycle that almost cost me and Billy their lives. I'm on the bike that took my mother's life.

And just thinking about it makes me want to turn the bike off and leave it in the back of my garage, but you have to move on and turn pages. Plus I wouldn't have to ask Steve to pick me up in the morning, and I'd be able to get home alone and faster. I smile softly as I feel the wind caress my hair, sending it flying through the air.

I arrive in front of my house. I park the bike in the driveway before removing my helmet and putting my hair back on properly. I smile sweetly then pick up the keys and ride towards my house. My dad wasn't there yet, probably working, it's weird, he usually finishes early on Friday. But he must be getting drunk in a bar.

I sigh as I put the helmet on a dresser near the entrance. I take off my jacket and put it on the coat rack.