18

I was sitting alone on the bleachers reading, hearing the boys' screams, the basketball team practicing on the basketball court in the distance while a class was playing sports on the lawn across the field

As I was engrossed in my reading, I heard a voice calling me from behind. I looked up from my book before turning around and seeing Eddie, he immediately sat down next to me. I close my book.

"Good morning Miss Jones.

- Hello Mr. Munson, what can I do for you?

- I've come to give you something."

He pulls the Paul Anka cassette out of his black bag before handing it to me, so I take it in my hands.

"Did you listen to it?

- Yes, I listened to it.

- What about it? Do you like it? I say smiling.

- Mhm, let's just say it's not something I'd listen to over and over again, but if it came on the radio in my car, I wouldn't complain."

I was happy to see that he enjoyed the music, I immediately speak.

"Next time I'll play you the entire Grease soundtrack.

- Grease? The movie?

- Mhm, have you ever watched it? I ask with a frown.

- Never." He says.

I immediately take offense, widening my eyes before putting my hand on my chest and retorting.

"What?! I can't believe it... You absolutely have to watch it!" I say.

Eddie starts laughing, before nervously playing with his ring, he bites his lip gently before speaking somewhat hesitantly.

"Shall we... watch it together?"

I was surprised by his question, I didn't know what this invitation meant and Eddie noticed the confusion on my face. He immediately spoke up.

"As friends, of course! As friends...

- Oh, well I'd be happy to... I'm free on Friday nights and weekends, we can do this anytime you want.

- This Friday? Is that ok?

- That's perfect." I say with a smile.

I gently tuck the tape into the bottom of my bag.

"Steve and Robin work at a video store downtown, we could stop by, rent the movie and go to my place or yours." I say.

I stop immediately, realizing a small detail. I didn't really like bringing people to my house, the only people who have already come in are Steve, Billy and Robin.

Steve and Billy knew about the situation with my father, but Robin didn't, I never told her, I'm too ashamed. And I don't want Eddie to know about it.

"Shit...

- What's the matter?

- My video tape player is broken, I forgot." I say, making up an excuse.

I was really hoping that this excuse would pass because I don't have any more in store.

"Oh, that's okay, we can go to my place."

It had worked, I smiled then before nodding.

"Alright Munson, let's meet Friday after school in the parking lot then?

- No problem."

Eddie smiled softly at me, I then looked at the time on my watch before sighing and looking up at Eddie.

"I have a class in two minutes, I have to go...

- Don't worry, go ahead. I'll see you soon.

- See ya." I say with a smile.

I grab my bag as I stand up before walking down from the bleachers, I look back at Eddie one last time before waving at him, he responds with a soft smile, I then leave, getting ready to walk into the school when a voice calls out to me.

"Cassie!"

I then turn around before seeing Jason running towards me, dressed in his basketball outfit, I smile at him before greeting him.

"Hey Jason, how are you doing?

- I'm fine thanks." He stops in front of me.

He quickly catches his breath before speaking up.

"I saw you talking to Eddie Munson, are you friends with that... Satanic madman?"

I start to laugh before bringing my hand to my mouth.

"Actually he's not satanic, and I don't know if you can say him and I are friends, but we get along really well, why?"

Immediately Jason sets his eyes on his basketball team behind, which Liam was a part of. He turns to me.

"Liam doesn't like this at all..."

I stifle a laugh before sighing, I immediately reply to Jason.

"And you're playing the damn carrier pigeon to tell me what Liam thinks about it because he can't come talk to me anymore after I put a fucking gun to his head?"

Jason thinks for a few seconds before answering me.

"Yeah, that's kind of it."

I laugh softly before walking over to Jason and looking up at him, inking my gaze into Jason's.

"Well you tell your fucking buddy that I don't give a shit what he thinks about it ok? I do what I want. And if he doesn't get it, tell him I won't hesitate to destroy his whole fucking reputation. Remind him that it's only because of me that he's "popular" here. I, Cassie fucking Jones, decide who is popular in this school and who is not."

Jason looked at me with a raised eyebrow, looking shocked.

"Uh, yeah okay... I'll tell him."

I then smiled before placing my hand on Jason's shoulder.

"have a good practice Jason." I say.

The blond man thanks me before turning back to the basketball court. I then walk back into the school and head to my next class.