54.

The week had passed quickly. I haven't talked to Eddie again. I don't want to and there's no way I'm going back with him anyway. He betrayed me once and I won't let him do it again. No way. To keep my mind off the fact that Eddie cheated on me with Amber, I've been hanging out with Robin and Steve a lot, spending more time with Chrissy at cheerleading practice, and I have to admit, she's been acting weird lately. But I'm not worried, she's probably stressed out because the basketball tournament is coming up.

Mike also asked me to babysit his little sister Holly for him, he promised me 40$ in exchange, and there is not a thing I wouldn't do for money. Except prostitute myself or kill someone, unless that someone is my dad, Liam or Amber. I would do that even for a dollar. Mike hands me four ten dollar bills.

"She has to go to bed at 8:00, she's not allowed down in the basement, and there's leftover potatoes in the fridge with green beans.

- Yeah I know it's good nerdy. I get it you can go to the arcade with your lisping friend.

- Thanks Cass, you got it!" he said.

I smiled as I pressed my hand on the doorknob of his house before speaking up, a question was on my mind about their group of friends with Mike, Dustin and Lucas.

"Besides, why isn't Lucas coming with you?

- I don't know, he just hangs out with Jason and the other basketball guys.

- Oh... I see." I say.

Mike smiles at me before waving. I wish him a good evening before seeing him turn his back on me and leave. I close the door before walking towards the living room where Holly was playing with dolls.

"Hi there. I say with a smile before sitting next to her.

- Hi there. Do you want to play dolls with me?" She says.

I smile before agreeing. Holly begins to introduce me to each of her dolls one by one. I wonder what Eddie is doing here now. From what he told me before we parted ways, Amber is leaving tomorrow morning. At least that's my understanding. And I hope she leaves soon.

———

Mike had come home around 10:30 pm with Dustin, he had put his jacket on the couch, Holly had already been in bed for two hours. So I was on the couch watching TV.

"Is she in bed? Mike asked.

- Yes, she's asleep," I said.

I see Dustin flop down on the couch, I turn to Mike turning off the TV before speaking up.

"Why didn't you ask Nancy to babysit her?

- Nancy is hardly ever home." Mike simply replies.

I shrug before I hear Dustin sigh. I wonder what's bugging him.

"Why are you so upset Henderson?

- I'm stressing about D&D... It's Monday night and Eddie... I don't know.

- Eddie seems to be somewhere else." Said Mike as he too collapsed on the couch.

The two friends look at me. Waiting for me to say something. Eddie and I had nothing left to do together so I didn't have much to say. But I knew why Eddie didn't look so good. I knew very well since I was the reason.

"You will win this game." I say before standing up.

I grab my leather jacket before putting it on and turning to Mike and Dustin.

"See ya later, suckers.

- See ya. Thanks again." Mike said.

I give him a handshake before turning to Dustin. He smiles at me and I give him a wave before leaving. I close the door behind me and head to my bike, I hop on and start it up, beginning to ride home. After five minutes I arrive at my house, park the bike in the driveway before taking off my helmet. I enter my house, my father was sitting on the armchair, a cigarette between his fingers. He was stoned. Again.

I wonder when he'll stop using all those illegal substances. Probably never. I hope he goes into a drunken coma one day and learns from it. He speaks in a hoarse voice.

"Where have you been?

- I was babysitting a friend's sister.

- Did he pay you?" He asks.

If I said yes, he'd ask me to give him the money, like he does with the tips I earn at the diner. And if I say no, hopefully he'll let me.

"No." I reply.

I walk past him towards my room before I suddenly feel his hand grab my wrist. I sigh before looking down. This didn't work. I have to improvise now. I rest my eyes on my wrist before I hear my father speak.

"You're lying. How much did he pay you?

- 0$. And even if he had paid me I wouldn't tell you." I say.

I feel him force my wrist, suddenly pulling me back close to him. I was leaning towards him, my face close to his, I look down smelling the sweat mixed with alcohol and tobacco. I sigh before I hear him speak.

"Give me the money."

There are times when I wonder if he realizes how much he's changed. When I looked at him I felt like I was looking at a stranger. He wasn't my father.

"Fuck you."

I suddenly feel his other hand grab my neck violently. I gasp in fear before putting my hand on his arm trying to get his hand off my neck without success. My eyes meet his.

"You think because you shot me in the leg that I can't hurt you anymore? Little bitch."

I feel his nails digging into my skin. I couldn't breathe and felt my face get hot, I immediately slip my hand into my jacket pocket before pulling out the bills and handing them to him. He takes them and removes his hand from my neck.

"See you when you want."

He smiles, I start coughing violently before taking a quick step towards the bathroom, I lock myself in before trying to resume normal breathing. I drink some water from the tap before looking at my neck in the mirror. There was the trace of his nails and I was bleeding. What a mess.