15

It was Saturday morning, I had woken up particularly early to go to the cemetery, I had bought a bouquet of flowers at a florist on the way.

I had entered the cemetery, I was heading towards my mother's grave which was between two other graves, that of a man and another which is that of a former widow, buried with her husband.

I put down the bouquet of flowers at the foot of my mother's grave before sitting down cross-legged in front of it. I immediately take a long, deep breath.

"Hi Mom, it's been a long time since I came to see you. Sorry, classes are taking up a lot of my time. I'm going to soon have my diploma, I'm excited and scared at the same time. Did I ever tell you about Liam? He and I aren't together anymore."

I slowly twiddle my fingers, thinking back to that chaotic night.

"I ended up getting completely wasted that same night, having to spend the night at Eddie Munson's house. I don't know if you remember him, the little boy with the disheveled hair who played guitar at the end-of-the-year show, his guitar didn't work anymore." I said, stifling a laugh.

I try to think of a few relevant things to tell my mom before finally continuing my speech.

"Steve is doing well, if you would see how much he has grown. He finally has some chest hair." I say with a laugh.

I hide my smile behind my hand before continuing to speak.

"He's been there for me tremendously lately. He's known for a few months about the situation at home with dad... Things are complicated, he hits me a lot, insults me and stuff like that. I'm trying not to let it get to me."

I gently bite my lip so I can feel a warm tear beading down my cheek. I sniffle before wiping the tear away.

"I miss you so much mom. I wish you were here with me and that everything was like it was before. Things changed so much after you left. Dad is hurting a lot mom... He misses you, a lot."

Several tears start to fall, I don't wipe them away anymore and let them make their own paths down my face.

"He talked about Billy. He said that if he died that night at the mall, it was to pay for your death."

I sniffle, trying to wipe away my tears, I keep talking.

"I swear to you Mom, if I could go back in time and not have gotten on that motorcycle, I would have. I would have done it without hesitation."

I place my hand on the headstone, reading her name engraved on it. 'Meredith Jones'.

"I love you mom, I'll try to come see you more often."

I smile softly before standing up, zigzagging between the graves before walking out of the cemetery and back home. When I got home, I didn't see my dad, definitely out and about.

I went straight to my room, locking myself in. I collapsed on my bed, analyzing my room as if it were the first time I had entered it.

I immediately noticed the 'Back in Black' vinyl cover of AC/DC. I get up immediately before grabbing the cover and taking out the vinyl, I walk over to my record player and put the vinyl on it, I play it.

I start to tidy my room while listening to the music. I was just thinking about Eddie while listening to this album. Probably because he likes AC/DC.

After almost an hour, the music stops, I walk over to the record player and put the album back on, listening to 'Back in Black' all afternoon.