51.

Billy hands me his helmet. I frown as I take it somewhat hesitantly.

"But, what about you?

- Don't worry. I'd rather protect you than me." He says.

I stifle a laugh, preparing to object but Billy takes the helmet from my hands and puts it on my head before putting the visor on. I sigh before Billy gets on his bike, I climb up behind him and wrap my hands around his waist.

"Ready? He asks.

- Ready."

I hear him laugh before he starts to ride. And I have to admit, it was a pleasant feeling. The air caressing my hair, the sound of the engine reasoning in my ears. My hands were around the blond boy's waist and I could slightly feel his abs against my arms, making me blush.

We came to an intersection where traffic was not usually heavy. Billy accelerated slightly and I saw a van coming from the opposite road.

"Billy!" I say in fear.

He doesn't have time to slow down. I clutch his shirt in my hand in fear. Am I going to die? I'm going to die, in this accident. What am I supposed to think about when I die? My parents? My friends? Robin? Steve? Billy? I don't know, I don't have time to think about anything, the bike hits the van, and we are thrown several meters.

I feel a pain in my ribs, but I think I am still conscious. I hear a deafening alarm, I take off my helmet with difficulty, I try to get up, but I am in too much pain. I run my hand over my ribs trying to find where the pain is coming from, but instead I feel a warm liquid flowing through my fingers. I look down and see blood.

I look up and see Billy, unconscious on the floor. My heart rate increases. Is he dead? Is he still breathing?

"Billy..." I say in a small voice.

He had been the last thing I saw before waking up in a hospital bed. I heard incessant beeping coming from the machine indicating my heartbeat. I see my father asleep, his hand was in mine. I move slightly, waking him up.

"Cassie? Cassie! My darling you are finally awake."

He immediately gets up and calls for a doctor before turning to me.

"Dad, where am I?

- At the hospital, don't worry you're safe." He says.

I remembered a little of everything. The bike, the van, the accident, Billy, the helmet, my ribs, the blood. A doctor arrives and puts a blinding light in front of my eyes. He stands up and starts asking me questions.

"How old are you miss?

- 16 years old...

- What high school do you go to?

- Hawkins High School.

- Do you remember what happened to you?

- I was in a motorcycle accident with my best friend Billy. Billy. Is he okay? Is Billy okay?" I said suddenly concerned.

The doctor smiled at me before telling me he was fine.

"He's still in a coma, but he'll be fine, by the way...

- Wait sir... Can you leave us alone? I'd like to tell her myself." Said my father.

And I still worry. The doctor nods and leaves us alone in the room. I see my father sit back down next to me, his hand grabbing mine. And that's when I noticed my mom wasn't there. Where is she? Did something happen to her?

"Dad, what's going on? I said with a frown.

- Uhm... Cassie... I'm going to need you to be strong. It won't be easy to hear but..."

And I understood, he didn't have to say anything, I understood directly.

"Is she dead?"

My throat knots, I feel tears welling up in my eyes. My father starts to cry. I hoped I was wrong and that he would nod his head negatively. But instead my father locked his eyes with mine and nodded. And I think at that moment my heart stopped beating, my world was falling apart, a part of me was being taken away.

"The ambulances called us and your mom went straight to the car and she was in an accident too. She died instantly."

And it was the fall.