𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝒕𝒘𝒐

As the group followed the trail they were sure was left by Neal, Killian took Katherine's hand

As the group followed the trail they were sure was left by Neal, Killian took Katherine's hand. "Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

"About what? That no matter what I say or do I will always be the bad guy to them" she said. "That. Or the earth-shattering pain you mentioned" he said.

"No. Besides, it doesn't matter anymore" she said, squeezing his hand. "You're here now and it doesn't hurt anymore. All this did is remind me that you're the only one there for me. The only one I can trust."

Killian bit his tongue at her words, wishing that he'd told her the truth a long time ago. But instead of saying anything now he just squeezed her hand back as they continued walking.

The tracks didn't lead very far and stopped at the entrance of a cave. "This must be where Pan is keeping Neal," Mary Margaret said.

"If the cave is some sort of prison, why aren't there any guards posted to stop us?" David asked.

"Because this prison doesn't require guards," Killian said, filled with a deep sense of dread as he realized where they were. "Echo Cave."

"You know it?" Katherine asked.

"All too well. I lost half my crew inside those rock walls. The only way to rescue someone from inside is to reveal a secret" he said.

"A secret? That's all?" Katherine asked.

"Your darkest secret," he said. "Echo cave derives its name from an old saying. The deeper the lie the more truth in its echo. The cave demands that you reveal a truth about yourself. A secret you would never admit to anyone."

"This is ridiculous" Katherine sighed. "Don't kill the messenger love" he said.

"Even if we spill our guts, how do we know Neal is still alive in there?" Emma asked. "Because that's what Pan wants. He wants us to rescue him" Killian said.

"Why?"

"So that we reveal our secrets" Katherine realized. "It's a game. Like the map."

"Right. Well let's go then" Emma said, as they walked inside. Echo Cave was much bigger than any of the other ones on the island. The entrance opened up into a large cavern, so deep they couldn't see the bottom.

And out in the middle. Too far to reach was a singular rock formation, with a cage seated on top.

"Neal" Emma mumbled as she looked at the man in the cage.

"It must be 100 feet across," Mary Margaret said. "Even if we fashion some sort of rope, there's nothing to attach it to. No way to swing over" David said.

"And if I used magic, this cave would probably find a way to kill him," Katherine said.

"So what do we do?" Emma asked.