𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑒

hyperion heights, present

Courtney had her headphones in, music blasting as she ran around the lake at the park. It was something she liked to do whenever she had a late shift at the bar.

Seeing a familiar face walking toward her she smiled as she came to a stop and pulled out her headphones.

"Hey. Don't tell me you two are here to feed the birds" she said.

"I didn't know you ran out here," Rogers said.

"Only when I have the late shift. If I don't stay in shape how else will I earn my tips?" she asked.

"I don't think you have a problem there," he said, trying his best not to let his gaze fall too far.

"If you two are done, we actually have work to do," Weaver said.

"You mean you have innocent people to accost probably" Courtney scoffed.

"No but maybe you could help," he said. "Have you seen Tilly?"

"No. But it wouldn't surprise me if she was actively avoiding you. I keep telling her to stay away from you" she said.

"She attacked Victoria Belfrey this morning," he said.

"Did she kill her?" she asked.

"No, Ms.Belfrey is fine," Weaver said.

"Aw. Shame. Well, there's always next time" Courtney shrugged, smiling as Rogers had to fake a cough to cover up his laugh.

"If you see Tilly just tell her I'm looking for her," Weaver said.

"That's not happening. You know how I feel about you using her as one of your little street rats. She deserves better than that" Courtney said.

"And why do you care so much? You're not her mother. If I remember correctly you had a chance for that but you gave them up" Weaver said.

Rogers grabbed Weaver by the arm and pulled him back. "That's enough," he said.

"You know you two make quite a pair. The champions of lost girls" Weaver said. "Yeah, I've seen your cold case. The one with the missing girl. Little tip, do not bring your baggage to my work. Tilly is my informant and I will deal with her my way."

"I thought you actually cared about that girl," Rogers said.

"Oh, but that's your mistake, Detective. I don't care about anyone" Weaver said, glancing at Courtney before he walked off.

"Are you okay?" Rogers asked.

"Yeah. Believe it or not, that's not the worst thing he's ever said to me" Courtney said.

"Still. You shouldn't listen to him. And he shouldn't be talking to you that way" he said.

"Well...he's not wrong" she sighed.

"Court-"

"He's not. I did have my chance. I guess that's why I care so much about Tilly And I know she is...she's...a lot. But she's really sweet and she means well. Which makes her a prime target for my dad to take advantage of" she said.

"I'll find her. I promise" he said.

"Thank you" Courtney smiled. "This town is lucky to have someone like you on the force. Pretty sure you're the only one there who gives a damn."

"Well, it sounds like Tilly is lucky to have someone like you. I can tell you really care about her" he said.

"I do" she nodded. "She means a lot to me."