𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚-𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆

Katherine had never been to a funeral before

Katherine had never been to a funeral before. In her entire life, which thanks to the dark curse was longer than she expected it to be, she had never known anyone who died. At least no one she cared about.

Even her father who she thought was dead, was actually alive. And in the brief time he was thought to be dead, there wasn't enough time for a funeral. When Katherine thought about what to wear that morning she thought it was silly.

Neal had died and she needed to scrounge up every article of black clothing she owned, which was a lot, and prepare an outfit to say goodbye to him in. What did one even wear to a funeral? Were there clothes deemed inappropriate?

Was it possible she could be too dressed up? She figured that worrying about her fashion choices would distract her from how much it hurt. But it didn't. Because no matter how much she focused on which shoes would be better she kept asking herself, better for what?

What shoes could she possibly put on that would make her less sad about the fact that her brother's dead? A brother that the universe so cruelly took from her before she could really get to know him.

While she was grateful their last moment was one of bonding and she got to hug him before he left it wasn't enough. But then again how much time was ever really enough? At one point her thoughts got so dark she wished they stayed in Neverland, that way they could've had forever.

But despite the fact that she did manage to put together a particular solemn, yet beautiful ensemble, taking her turn to shovel dirt on top of Neal's casket was still a dreadful experience.

And so, when after the funeral proceedings everyone decided to head to Granny's for the wake, Katherine found herself sitting in a booth, nursing a bottle of rum to drown her sorrows.

"Don't you think you should slow down?" Killian asked, sitting across from her. "You, the guy who carries around a flask 24/7 is telling me that I should slow down?" she asked, not bothering to mince her words.

"I know you're hurting, love, but there are better ways to grieve Baelfire's death. Any comfort your looking for, you won't find at the bottom of that bottle" he said.

"I'm not hurting and I don't need comfort. I'm angry. Angry that I let this Zelena person take him from us" she said.

"Take it from me, vengeance isn't the thing that's gonna make you feel better," he said. "It's not vengeance, it's justice," she told him.

Before he could say anything, Emma walked over to them. "Hey, uh, Hook do you think you can talk to Henry about Neal?" she asked.

"What about him?" he asked.

"Well, I...as far as Henry's concerned I haven't seen Neal since he let me go to jail. If I try to say anything about his dad being a hero he's gonna think I'm making it up so he'll feel better" Emma said.