Fixing Dýr

He was such a lonely wolf. I went over and gently stroked his paw. It seems like whatever happened to him is slowly eating away at him. I looked up at the gentle giant and pouted at him. His head tilted and his nose nudged me.

"I don't like seeing you sad. I wanna help."

"Hhheeeelllllpppp?????"

"Yes. help you feel better. But I won't force it upon you."

He looked at me. His eye started to glow. His head lowered and a thick fog started to roll in. I looked and held onto Dýr's nose. He started to lay down and I climbed up. The fog started to turn and twist, making another creature. The bear.

"Iiiiiiii looooossssstttt."

The fog made the bear roar. Dýr flinched but started to growl.

"Iiiinnnnssssiiiiiddddeeee."

I started to make my way to his ribcage when he started to stand at his full height. Once I made it inside, I saw a small glowing bottle. I snuck towards it while Dýr let out a snarl towards the foggy bear. Suddenly, he started dashing toward the thing. Teeth on full display, aiming for the thing's throat. I quickly started heading towards the bottle, my balance was thrown off but I managed. Once I got to the jar, I looked inside it. A small blue light shined through the glass. It moved and danced. I slipped it into my cloak's hidden pocket and made my way back to the front of his ribcage. I peeked out and saw the foggy bear limping away. Dýr had won.

"Ssssaaaaffffeeee."

He lowered himself and allowed me to crawl out. He didn't look hurt but something was off. He then laid down and looked at me. He seemed tired.

"Dýr, is something wrong?"

"Juuuusssstttt tttiiiiirrrreeedddd."

He was huffing and puffing. His teeth were pale white, much like the moon. His one eye looked at me, shining bright. Something was different about him. He yawned and lay down. I approached carefully and started to examine him. I looked at his skull and saw a new crack. Poor thing.

"Dýr, there's a new crack on your skull."

"Thhhheeerrreeee iiiissssss????"

"May I help?"

"Rrrreeeeeelllliiieeeevvveeee mmmmyyyyyy pppaaaaiiiiinnnn."

His one eye closed, ready for some help. I started rubbing some of his skull, it was soft and smooth. I went over the crack, being extremely careful. I carefully started rubbing the crack. That's when a thought came to my mind.

"Dýr? Can you take me to Elana's home? She has a book of remedies. Maybe there's a cure for you."

He then scratched at the air, opening a portal.

"Gggoooooo thhhhrrrrooouuuuugggghhhh."

I went through and saw that I was in Elana's home. I started going through the many books she had until one caught my eyes. It was a leather bound book, with spells branded into the leather. I grabbed it and ran through the portal.

"Dýr look! A book of spells!"

His glowing eye looked down. Examining the book I held. He laid his head down and allowed me to try and use a spell to help him. I opened the book and scanned through the pages. I paused on one and started reading it.

"Dýr, I found it!"

"Ggggoooooooooddddd. Fffffiiiiiiixxxxxxx mmmmeeeeeee."

I read the words carefully. But there was no chant. Just some herbs, mushrooms and ash. I looked around and started gathering everything. I then walked over to the skeleton of Dýr's mother. His eye was closed, awaiting the medicine for the cracks on his skull. I scooped up a handful and placed it in a mortar and pestle. I started grinding everything together. I climbed up onto Dýr and walked up to the largest crack.

"Ready?"

"Yyyyeeeesssssss."

I grabbed the mixture and it started to glow. I started applying it on the largest and spread it to the rest of the racks that branched out. Dýr hummed as his mangled ear twitched. The cracks slowly started to close, all that was left was the largest. I applied more and the crack started to heal. Once it was finally healed, I climbed off of Dýr, to look him in the face.

"I feel...fixed."