What's in the Bottle?

Véttr looked at me and started grinding his teeth. I looked down and reached into the cloak. I then pulled out the shiny bottle. What could be so important about this thing anyway? He opened his hand and looked at me. I reluctantly handed it to him. Seeing his hand slowly close around it made chills run down my spine. He smirked a little but it faded as the fog grew thicker.

"Dýr must be getting closer."

I looked at him nervously and he just patted my head with a weird grin growling across his face.

"Don't worry. He never shifts into his human state anyway, you're fine."

I nodded. He then lifted up the bottle, examining it. Some sparkles and waves of the blue color moved as he shifted and turned the bottle. Almost like something was alive in there. He smiled and then turned his pearl eyes towards me. I looked at him, worried. Like I did something horrible.

"Do you even know what this is?"

"I don't. That's why I was gonna look in the book."

Véttr started chuckling. He then shook his head and broke out into laughter. Tears fell from his cheeks as he squeezed his ribs, gasping for air. He set the bottle down and the blue thing inside swirled and shimmered.

"That book will have nothing on this. But I know all about it. I know why Dýr had it in his chest, why it glows a beautiful blue, and exactly what is inside."

I looked at him. He knows what's in the book. He knows what's inside the bottle. Why won't he tell me everything? I looked into his pearl eyes and frowned. He tilted his head and smirked, almost like he knew what I was thinking. He looked down at the bottle and lifted it, allowing me to look into it. I looked and saw a feather. He smiled when I looked at him.

"A feather?"

"Not just a feather, it's her feather. This was once the hawk of life."

I looked at Véttr then back to the bottle. The color swirled and waved more. The feather, dancing like it would in the wind. I reached for it but Véttr held it out of my reach. He shook his head and chuckled deeply. Suddenly his pearl eyes looked up at me and he started smirking.

"You may have a good relationship with everyone here, but that doesn't mean you can steal from Dýr. I personally think that all you mortals are the same. Stealing, killing and calling yourselves the top of the food chain. You all are no match when it comes to our intelligence, strength, speed and stamina. Yet Fáel takes a liking to you all. Comparing you to a misunderstood creature."

He started snarling. There were small orange and gold orbs surrounding him. Orbiting around him, giving off a soft and warm glow. One of the golden orbs approached his hand and he held it, looking at it like a mother to their baby.

"I suggested that mortal humans should be extinguished."

He then smiled and closed his hand tight around the orb. When he opened his hand, it was a small, charred black ball. He blew on it and it turned to dust, rejoining the other orbs. As soon as it touched one orb, it started to extinguish itself and turn to dust, infecting the other orbs. I got up and started backing up.

"Véttr, please. I can expla-"

"No need, I can read your intentions. Killing is Dýr's job. No, you were going to tell me that you're different from the others. You just proved to me that you aren't after you stole this. So what you are going to do is hand deliver this back to Dýr, apologize to him, and open the bottle. Do you understand?"

"And if I refuse?"

"Well, let's just say that it wouldn't be a fun time seeing exactly what your future would hold. Dýr may control death but I can determine your fate. I can make you live a long life, or cut it short. I may fear him, but we are the same face on the same coin. I determine others' futures, and he executes them flawlessly."

 Véttr smiled a crooked grin.

"So what will it be?"