Summoning the Voice of the Skies

I looked up, seeing the change to a midnight blue to black, with small dots in the sky shimmering like diamonds. I ran more until I paused. Something was definitely off. I started climbing up the mountain but the ground didn't bend to my will. Must be one of Véttr's spells. I dug my claws into the rock and started my trek. The jagged rocks pierced my paws as I struggled to climb the mountain. My paws bled as the rocks stabbed and sliced. I tried to go fast but then I realized, be slow. I slowed my pace and started noticing details like Véttr does. There was a path, hidden from the starlight. I made my way to it and felt soft grass.

"So this is how you get up the mountain."

I walked upon the soft grass until I saw a silhouette rush past. I kept my guard up and got low to the ground. Everything was silent and still, like time wasn't affecting this mountain. I made it to a flattened part of the path but something was off about it. It faded from a grass path to gravel. I walked closer to it and took a step. The gravel crunched slightly but was quiet. Almost like something was cushioning it. I swiped away at the gravel and saw small orbs no longer shining. Like dull rocks once shining. I then made it to a turn and saw Véttr sitting at the edge, staring up at the sky then down at the ground.

"I know you're there, Ulf."

I walked over and sat slightly behind him. Seeing him gazing down at the sea. I then connected the dots and realized why he came up here. It's not to be closer to the sky... he loves the water but it's forbidden love. I saw that he had been crying.

"Véttr...if Fáel finds out about-"

"YOU WILL SAY NOTHING TO HIM!"

Véttr scolded me and bared his teeth. His pearl-eyes shined like the moon but had fury behind them. Our parents made it forbidden for the water and sky to be together. Hence why they created this mountain. There were only two like it. Almost like they were pillars keeping them from being together. Véttr fell hard for Vatn. I looked him in the eye and sighed softly.

"Sorry, I...I overstepped. But do be aware that we are holding council."

"And why am I being involved in this? I am the voice of the skies."

"Véttr, please.. You can help us."

"I told Dýr that I wanted out of the council. Majority of the time, I didn't get a single word in. So why should I bother showing up when I know I won't have a say in the matter."

"I will tell him that you deserve a say. You can really help with this. I'll even work up a deal with Fáel to allow you to spend some time with Vatn."

"Fine. I will show up to the council. But if I don't get a say and don't get to see my beloved Vatn, consider seeing me in emergencies rather than a casual visit."

Véttr bared his teeth more, being more angry but more hurt by what our parents decided. I know he loved Vatn but only Fáel can change our parents' rules, especially since he was the eldest and our parents trusted him to uphold the rules. I know he felt, if I didn't get a say in a single thing, I'd be angry too. I sighed and lowered my head.

"Véttr, I will talk to him as long as you come to council."

"Fine, but I want to be present when you speak to Fáel. I want to hear him agree."

I nodded and turned to leave when I suddenly heard Véttr's musical howl. I looked up and saw the stars shining slightly brighter. I turned to face him and saw small glowing orbs floating around him.

"Véttr?"

"I loved her Ulf. And yet I'm bound to the sky. The only way I can even be with her is when it rains."

"Véttr, you will be with her again."

"We shall see."