Sweet Baby

After what felt like hours, we finally made it to Elana's house. Milo immediately hopped off and ran to me, scooping me up and out of the carriage. Milo called out for Elana's help and she ran to our aid and prepped a bed with towels, water and some sponges.

"Okay Winnie, get ready to push."

I felt so much pain as Milo ran to my side and held my hand. I squeezed it tight as I started to push. I let out a scream of pain as I pushed when Elena told me to and tried to take deep breaths, while squeezing Milo's hand until my knuckles turned white. After hours of screaming, crying and pushing, it was becoming night. The full moon started to rise, and finally, our baby was born, crying into the night. Elena gently cleaned her off and Milo used his knife to cut her umbilical cord. Elena gently laid our beautiful baby on my chest with a soft smile.

"Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl, Winnie. What will you name her?"

"Yvette, our sweet little Yvette."

Milo sniffled as he gazed at our beautiful baby girl. She was beautiful, healthy and perfect, all we ever wanted in a child. I caressed her soft cheek and a tiny little hand poked out from the blanket.

"Oh honey, look at how tiny her hands are. She's perfect, in every way possible."

Milo was a sobbing mess and so was I. Elena excused herself before telling us we should get some rest before leaving for our place. We both agreed as the excitement soon subsided and exhaustion began to settle in. Elena had a cradle waiting for the sweet little angel. Milo gently scooped her up and laid her down before turning to me and pulling a blanket over me.

"You get some rest my love. We'll need it."

 I smiled and nodded, I laid my head down and started to drift off, smiling to myself. I was happy with our sweet little girl. Perhaps we should visit William, he would be happy to meet our little Yvette. As my mind started to drift, I thought about the man with golden eyes and the little boy. Was he the boy's father or older brother? I felt at peace, like I was floating down a peaceful river. I'm not sure how long I was asleep for but I suddenly heard Yvette crying.

"I'm awake sweetie. What's the matter?"

I looked over and saw that she was fussing in the bassinet. The sunlight was just starting to rise in the east. I carefully got up and checked on Yvette, she huffed at little as I gently scooped her up. There wasn't a smell so I assumed she was hungry. I started to feed her and her fussiness came to a slow stop. When she finished eating, I started patting her back. Once she burped, I held her a little longer and hummed her a little lullaby before gently laying her back down in the bassinet and draped the blanket over her. I crept back into bed and laid down but couldn't manage to fall asleep, so I looked over and saw her unfinished baby blanket. Smiling, I grabbed it and started sewing little sheep into the border and corners of the pale blue blanket.

"I hope you love this blanket sweet girl, each stitch contains all the love me and your daddy have for you."

 As I finished the last little sheep, Milo entered the room. His smile was bright and cheerful, as he glanced at Yvette then over to me and the blanket. He walked over and gently caressed my head while looking at the sheep. Looked up to him, he gently kissed my lips and continued to smile.

"It's beautiful, just like our baby girl."

I giggled, and looked out a nearby window. The golden light of the sun shone and faded to the beautiful blue. Elena gently knocked on the door and poked her head in. We smiled and allowed her in.

"How are you doing Winnie? How's Yvette?"

"I'm doing much better. Yvette ate not too long ago, but she's doing great."

"That's great to hear. If you or Milo ever need any assistance, I'm not too far and will come running."

"Thank you Elena, you're the greatest friend we could both ask for."

Yvette let out a small yawn and smiled. Elena smiled at Yvette and giggled, gently caressing her tiny cheek. Yvette's eyes were big and wide like the full moon that she was born under. I scooped her up and rewrapped him in the now finished blanket.

"Going to visit William today?"

"I plan on helping him with some of the furniture and toys for Yvette, he should be finished by now, you think?"

"I believe he is, he came by while you both went off trading."

"I thank you for your kind hospitality, Elena."

"There's no need for thanks, Winnie. I'm always willing to help you both."

 As we started to leave, Elena gave me a gentle hug, I whispered to her to be the godmother of Yvette, and waved us goodbye. We made our way to William's shop, seeing the man himself finishing up on the crib. There were thin carvings in the wooden headboard depicting a herd of sheep and a mighty ram with golden horns overlooking the small herd. It was breathtaking.

"Ah, Milo and Winnifred! I was just adding the finishing touches to your baby's crib."

"Speaking of our baby, would you like to meet her?"

"You had a girl? Oh let me see the sweet dear."

Milo stood aside and William approached, looking upon Yvette with pure joy and excitement. She made small noises when William came into view, almost like she was happy to meet him and was greeting him with her soft babbling. Her tiny pale hand then poked out from the blanket, making a grabbing motion to William. He slowly gave her his finger and she held onto it, looking at it with curiosity.

"Oh, what a mighty grip you have. You may just give me a run for my trades. She's absolutely perfect, Winnifred, a beautiful and strong young lady she will be."

"William, I must ask you something."

"Yes, yes, ask away my dear."

"Will you be the godfather of Yvette, Elena agreed to be the godmother."

"I am honored that you have chosen me, I will greatly take up the job."