Líf Returns

"Dýr, is she still around?"

"Who?"

"Líf! She isn't really gone is she? You lied about being with her, because you love her. I can see it on your face."

Dýr let out a raspy chuckle. Looking to the south east, there she was. Sitting in a branch, smiling down at the three. The other two followed his gaze and saw her smiling down at them. Fáelán started smiling and jumped up as she glided down and landed on Dýr's shoulder. Looking back to the wolves he raised his eyebrow.

"What is it Fáel? You seem confused."

"I thought you disappeared Líf."

"You cannot have death without life, silly. It would throw off balance. Everything would fall into chaos."

Dýr hummed in agreement. Although, something about him seems to want that. But then again, he only wanted what's best for his love. The two other wolves looked to each other then back to the couple. They knew what Dýr wanted but he would never cross Líf. He knew better. She looked up at the wolves and tilted her head.

"What troubles you, Fáel?"

"Where did you go?"

"I needed a break from mortals. Hearing them complain of the gifts I have given them. They should be happy that they are able to see the light of another day."

Fáel nodded, understanding her bitterness towards the mortals. He was given the job of protecting them and constantly heard their struggles and complaints. He lowered his head and sighed. He knew they feared Dýr and constantly complained about Líf's gifts. He understood why she needed the break. It was desperately needed for her. But did she stop creating life? When she disappeared, where did she go? Did she go into an alternate timeline? Did she create life there? Fáel needed answers, and he needed them now. Looking up to the two great deities in front of him, he swallowed hard and took a deep breath.

"Tell me Líf, where did you disappear to?"

"That is an irrelevant question."

"It's relevant to me. I must know."

"Please ask another."

"Did you stop creating life?"

"If I were to stop creating life, then Dýr would have nothing to do. We would both fade and reality as you know it will reset."

Her voice was grim. No one had ever seen her look so saddened. Well, no one but Dýr of course. He had seen every emotion upon her face. He could read her like no other, even if she were to mask her feelings. He knew her far too well. He even knew when she was speaking with a forked tongue. She could never lie to Dýr. He was just too good at predicting what others would say or do. They both were more than capable of predicting how people lie or what they might plan on doing. Mortal beings were predictable to immortal deities like them. They could even tell exactly what they would see with the exact tone and body language. They were vigilant when it came to mortals, sometimes they were unpredictable. It was hard for them.

"Has this happened before?"

"What?"

"A reset. Has a reset happened before."

"No, a reset has not happened. If it had, then this would be much more different for me and Dýr. not to any of you, but to us...it will be a drastic change for us."