Freeing Mortals

Will held me close as the rumbling came to a halt. We both looked around, trying to listen for any sign of life or if anyone was coming to save us from this place. Thoughts ran through my head like racing horses. I wondered if I'd ever get out alive or be crushed under the ruble. Tears started falling down my cheeks, feeling more rumbling and hearing more of the ceiling and ground bust open. But then, the room was flooded with moonlight.

"Yvette! Look!"

I slowly turned my head and saw Ulf standing at the now missing ceiling. I started smiling when my eyes met him. When I looked at William, he started in awe. I then looked down, it felt like I had somehow broken a promise. That's when it hit me. I promised to keep their existence a secret. But I wasn't the one who revealed the secret, Ulf was.

"Come on Flower! You gotta get out of there!"

My eyes darted to a broken piece of the ceiling and started to crawl over to it. William was hesitant at first but followed close behind me. Once we made it to the makeshift ramp, we started climbing up, but the rumbling began again, making it unsafe to be on. I looked up at Ulf as he lowered his head. I reached up to him and got ahold of his golden canine tooth. I turned my head and offered my hand to William. He smiled softly as a single tear rolled down his dusty cheek.

"Will, what are you doing?!"

"It's okay Yvette, get out of here, get to safety. I'll be alright."

That's when the ground below me started to crumble and Ulf pulled me away swiftly, leaving William behind. Tears flooded my eyes, blurring my vision. The ground started to crack and crumble as Ulf ran. Once we reached a safe distance away from the crumbling ground, he gently set me down but I couldn't muster the strength to stand on my own two feet.

"I am...truly sorry. I will look for him after I know that you are safe."

 I pounded on the ground, crying harder than I ever have.it wasn't fair! William did nothing wrong! I really hope he hasn't perished. If he has, I hope he didn't suffer. That man never did nothing to harm someone. He would offer to rebuild your home for free if it ever broke. You'd sleep in his home while he worked away day in and day out. Sometimes he'd hardly sleep from working. At times, he creates small statues of stone for the children to play with or as decorations.

"Tell me Yvette, how long have you known the stone mason?"

"Since I was born, he helped raise me with Elana."

"I see. I will find him. I promise."

I lowered my eyes and nodded. Thinking about all the memories I had shared with him, sniffling softly, his words repeating in my head. Seeing his soft eyes stare up at me, no sorrow was to be seen, only acceptance. Was he okay with dying? Was it his time to pass on? Why was William so accepting of this fate?

"Do you think things could've ended differently?"

"What are you talking about, my dear?"

"Do you think William's fate would have been different if things didn't happen the way they did?"

"It is something to ponder about. But it is best to not. Things happen for a reason you know."

I nodded, knowing that he was right. I shouldn't dwell on such a thing. I looked up at the giant wolf before me and smiled softly.