Finishing Up

We were almost finished with rebuilding the cabin. Only a few things here and there needed to be added and Soarin was almost finished with it. I walked out and went back to a natural form, and walked over to her side. Laying down, I peeked over her shoulder and watched her weave the golden thread in the smooth silk, making intricate patterns. She must've noticed me peeking at her work.

"I know you're there, my love."

"I know. I just love watching you work. It's beautiful."

She giggled softly and continued with the pattern. I continued to watch her talons hard at work, almost like they were built for weaving and sewing rather than fighting. Once she finished the pattern, she stood up, flew up and revealed the pattern. It was a beautiful gem in the shape of a heart. I smiled up at her, seeing her soft wings flap in the air much like a beautiful butterfly.

"It's perfect."

"Do you think it'll keep her warm? I don't wish for her to be freezing cold..."

"I'm sure she'll keep very warm."

Soarin giggled and flew with me to the resting mortal. I shrunk down and went down on my knee. Sliding my left hand under her knees and my right hand upon her back, I lifted her up from the moss blanket and carried her to the cabin. Soarin followed me close behind and opened the door for me. I walked in and made sure I didn't accidentally hit Yvette's head on any of the walls or corners. Soarin threw the blanket over her back and wings, following me close behind. Keeping her size and tail in mind, she carefully navigated to the bedroom and allowed me to take the blanket from her back.

"I didn't hear you come in."

"You didn't hear my talons tap on the floor?"

"No."

She giggled as I draped the blanket over Yvette's sleeping figure. She approached slowly and gently combed her hair while humming, the lullaby felt familiar. Like I had heard my mother sing it to me once before. When the lullaby finished, she carefully and quietly walked out the room leaving me alone. I stood there for a few minutes, lost in thought, before walking out of the room and out of the cabin, catching up with Soarin.

"That lullaby you hummed, what was it?"

"It was nothing, just something to help her sleep."

I nodded and yawned, looking up at the sky to see that it was still pretty dark out. I walked over to the barn to see two sleeping wolves curled up. The barn was pretty clean, they cleaned it up fast. I walked in and curled up, seeing Soarin walk over and gave me a pleading look.

"Come, sleep next to me."

She made a soft squeal and climbed in my arms. Snuggling into me before gently kissing my fluffy chest. I laid my head down and she rested her head against my muzzle. My eyes felt like they had two blocks of lead hanging upon them. But I couldn't seem to fall asleep, I felt...restless.

"Having a hard time falling asleep?"

I looked down and saw her soft eyes looking up at me.

"Your right..."

"May I sing you that lullaby?"

"If it's no trouble to you."

"Vargen ylar i nattens skog
(The wolf is howling in the forest of the night)
Han vill men kan inte sova
(He wants to, but cannot sleep)
Hungern river i hans varga buk
(The hunger tears his wolven stomach)
Och det är kallt i hans stova
(And it's cold in his burrow)

Du varg du varg, kom inte hit
(Wolf, wolf, don't you come here)
Ungen min får du aldrig
( I will never let you take my child)

Vargen ylar i nattens skog
(The wolf is howling in the forest of the night)
Ylar av hunger o klagar
(Howling out of hunger and moaning)
Men jag ska ge'n en grisa svans
(But I will give him a pig tail)
Sånt passar i varga magar
(Which suits a wolven stomach)

Du varg du varg, kom inte hit
(Wolf, wolf, don't you come here)
Ungen min får du aldrig
( I will never let you take my child)

Vargen ylar i nattens skog
(The wolf is howling in the forest of the night)"

I felt my eyes then shut once she finished the song, making me drift off to sleep. I heard her giggle softly and felt her snuggle into me.

"Goodnight Ulf."