91 A Person to Help

Xiao Ming and Qian Huang first filled Li Shui in on what had happened before. His brows wandered higher and higher while he listened to the story of how Si Er had contacted both of them and had clearly also listened in on Xiao Ming's conversation with Si Qi. He really didn't know what to say when they had ended.

Xiao Ming just sighed and leaned back, rubbing his forehead. "You know, this whole matter is just ... weird. And truth be told, it's getting a bit scary. I'm not sure if I want to deal with this."

Qian Huang furrowed his brows, staring toward the door to Xiao Ming's room. He honestly wasn't sure if that guy wouldn't be able to hear anything just because they had put all their phones and the notebooks in the other room but he sure hoped so. "The thing is even if you don't want to, we will still have to. The question is what to do. This kind of thing ... it has the possibility of really blowing up in our faces."

Xiao Ming nodded. "True. I mean so far, they just seem to be trying to get me to consider Nin Sha as a potential partner. That ... well, it is strange but I can understand somewhat. He is a friend of theirs, somebody they like a lot and want to help and it just seemed like a good way.

"To be honest, I'm not even mad at Mister Shi for how we went about it. The conversation ... to be honest, I think part of that was really just him feeling lonely. He wanted to pour his heart out to somebody. And I was just there.

"Sure, he also used the opportunity to tell me more about Nin Sha but I don't think he had much of an agenda. It just ... worked out like that in the end. But this guy?" He motioned back to the room and shook his head. "I feel like we are constantly under surveillance. And I ... I'm not sure if I can do this.

"I didn't think that having a cooking channel would turn out like this. I guess owning a restaurant would be better. Or even just working at one. But then again, I'm unlikely to ever do that, am I not?"

The other two could only smile wryly. Xiao Ming might've had a chance to get that opportunity in the future but what would happen with them then? Even though their channel had managed to become quite big, this was their only work experience. And working with a good friend was always different from working with somebody else. If they had to stop the stream, it would get tough for them.

Xiao Ming shook his head again and then leaned forward, propping his chin up on his hands. "Maybe I could contact Mister Shi and ask if he could help us out there. I mean he did say we could contact him."

"The problem is: What will happen if somebody realizes that? In any case, I don't think you should have any kind of contact with any of them outside of the show. Even Li Shui and I probably shouldn't."

Xiao Ming and Li Shui looked at him and Qian Huang could only sigh deeply. They probably still didn't get it fully.

"You know how it would look to be in close contact with any specific contestant of the show while it is running. Even for a while after that, it might be difficult. Especially if that person makes it far in the show which ... could happen.

"People might say you're biased or gave him preferential treatment. Sitting outside with him in the open like that was risky enough. Add a couple of calls, texts, or meet-ups and you'll ruin your reputation. You shouldn't get close to any of them even if it's about something outside of the show.

"If we have to do something because they won't stop bothering you, then it would make more sense to go through the official channels. Like, I think it would make more sense to speak to the director and tell him or somebody on his team that you are being harassed by one of the contestants. Then they could deal with it."

Li Shui pursed his lips at that. "But that would count as making trouble, wouldn't it? And you said before we should try to avoid that. In any case, the list of contestants has already been publicized. They wouldn't want to throw one of them out. They'll just hope he'll get disqualified soon.