114 A Happy Contestant

Si Shi Qi wasn't happy but everyone else didn't seem to pay too much attention to what Fan Mei had done. Some might think that she had been a little impolite, but the other contestants were preoccupied with their own matters, and the production team didn't care too much.

In any case, a bit of strife could also help with driving up the number of viewers as long as it wasn't too much. Thus, they just let it happen and decided to just keep an eye on Fan Mei so this wouldn't escalate. Anyway, they couldn't decide whether she'd stay in the show or not so who knew if she would even manage to make it into the next episode? There really was no reason to be bothered by this.

E Cheng Jun also decided to pretend not to pick up on it and just had Fan Mei return to her seat just like with Si Jin before while she already turned to the next contestant in line. "Now, I believe it's time for our next contestant, Ye Ping, to come and present her dish."

She waited for her to walk up to the front of the studio, and then couldn't help but make use of the opportunity. "For the first two contestants, our judges have asked what the idea behind making this specific variation of congee was. Now, before our judges have to repeat themselves for the third time, let me ask you instead: What are your thoughts on this?"

In fact, she had talked a bit with Ye Ping before while everyone was preparing but she had mostly focused on the issue of time. While she didn't know how exactly the final episode would play out, she could imagine that the production team would decide to make a small compilation to show the different ideas that everyone had had. Ye Ping's method would definitely make it onto the show so she figured that having another talk with her right before the judgment wouldn't be too bad and give her some more screen time.

The camera focused on the two of them and captured Ye Ping's happy expression. Clearly, she didn't have any trouble with being on the show at all and wasn't getting nervous even now that the spotlight was on her. "Well, congee is a really cheap dish. And if you make it right, it can be really nourishing. As a mother of three children, I naturally want to make the most out of a simple dish. How can there be enough time to make a complicated dish every single day to feed so many people? Thus, it's good to keep it simple."

As if on cue, the three judges looked away from Ye Ping and at the dish in the bowl in front of them that really looked quite plain.

Chu Yu An was the one who picked up a spoon first. "Well, that's an interesting way to look at things. Let's give this a try then!" She tasted a spoonful, her eyes narrowing faintly. "Ah, I feel like grabbing first speaking rights again. Would you mind, Mister Xiao?"

Xiao Ming looked at her and only then realized that the other two had already spoken up first once, so now, it probably should've been his turn. But seeing as Chu Yu An seemed to have thought of something immediately, he shook his head. "No, please go ahead, Miss Chu." Anyway, he hadn't even picked up his spoon yet.

Chu Yu An happily waved hers and motioned at the bowl. "Well, Ms. Ye, I can already see that you have managed to fully realize your philosophy. This is definitely a very good meal to feed kids. I can see that there are quite a lot of veggies in there. So it's not just nourishing, but also healthy. I think that this is an excellent choice."

Ye Ping beamed when she was praised. "Aiya, I wish my children were as grateful as Miss Chu. When I lovingly cut some veggies up for them, they will only ever complain. You must be making your parents so proud."

Chu Yu An smiled brightly, feeling that the entertainment value was quite high with this kind of contestant. "I will let you in on a secret: When I was younger, I also wouldn't eat my veggies." She chuckled and then put her spoon down, turning to Xiao Ming. "What about you, Mister Xiao? Have you always been a fan of veggies?"