The Best Girl

The young woman was in a haze, she had just received more information than she could currently process. She found out that Draco was a Death Eater along with Severus. It explained his moods that he had been going through. All she could think of is, ‘What was Severus going to do about Dumbledore?’ It was clear he didn’t want to hurt him, but she couldn’t think of a solution that would save Draco his Godson.

 Her head was just spinning. She went upstairs to pack more clothing to take with her. Hopefully, she wouldn’t have to be gone for long. Y/N had wanted to travel but this wasn’t a happy occasion. She was being forced away. 

She went back downstairs to look for a book on the shelf. It was a book of wizarding villages. She flipped through until she found one that spiked her interest. It was a small village in rural Scotland. She knew he didn’t want to know where she was going, but decided to leave the book open on the table, just in case. 

Grabbing her cat, she took him upstairs to bed. She tossed and turned forever until finally falling asleep. The next morning came too early and Alfie was already crying to go out to the garden. She stumbled down the stairs to let him out and make herself a cup of tea. Y/N stood in the kitchen sipping her tea, looking like an absolute disaster. 

Once she finished, she went upstairs to shower before she left. She grew more annoyed by the moment at having to do this unpleasant task. She chose a dark brown oversized sweater and plaid pants to wear for traveling. Y/N wrote a note on a piece of parchment, “Until my last breath,” and left it near the book on the table. She gathered her things and Alfie in his little carrying bag. First on the agenda was to go to Mr Painter for more money. After that, she made her way to Kings Cross to purchase a train ticket for Scotland. She would have to make a few connections to get to the village. 

Eventually it was time to board the train, she put Alfie at her feet in front of her seat. At least in a wizard's village, it wouldn’t look odd to travel with a black cat. The day was long, making train connections. She wished she could have apparated to the village but she couldn't travel that far yet. Her abilities weren’t as advanced as Severus’. 

She made it to a train station near the village near 9pm. Y/N followed the wooden road signs, carrying Alfie and her other bag until she made it to the village. Before going into the Inn, she let Alfie out in the grass for a few moments before they retired to a room. It was a cold and crisp winter's evening. 

She was still so numb from everything happening. All of her movements felt as if they were being performed by someone else. Y/N gathered the little black cat back in his bag, and went inside to procure a room. The Innkeeper was a lovely round short woman with upswept black locks. She took Y/N to the room and excused herself.

 It was a small quaint room, just as expected. Y/N put Alfie’s bag on the bed to release him. He slowly came out and explored the room. She took out his food from her expanding bag, placing it on the floor. There was a wooden chair near the bed that Y/N went to sit in and unlace her boots. 

She was absolutely exhausted from traveling. Climbing under the covers still in her outfit, she switched the lights off with her hand. Alfie jumped up on the bed to take his usual position next to her. It didn’t take long until she was fast asleep.

The next morning she woke up from a deep hazy sleep. She took a quick shower and put on a new outfit before taking Alfie outside to do his business. It was a chilly foggy morning in the village. Once she scanned the scenery, she decided it looked a lot like Hogsmeade. The buildings were shaped much the same with pointy roofs. 

She took Alfie back inside, walking to the small dining area. “Do you mind if I keep him with me? He will be on his best behavior,” she asked the Innkeeper when she came to inquire about food. “Of course, deary. He’s a lovely little fellow. What would you like for breakfast?” she asked kindly. Y/N told her and sat cross legged in the chair. Alfie loved to sit in laps. She even shared part of her breakfast with him. Severus wouldn’t allow that in a million years.