Stasis

The sun was coming up early the next morning and Pansy was waking. She had slept all night in Y/N’s arms, with Severus behind her. Alfie was laying in front of Pansy, trapping her. Pansy started shifting to get out of bed, gently moving Alfie back into his spot. Y/N reached for Pansy, “Are you leaving?” she asked sleepily. 

“Yes, love. I have some things to do today. I love you,” she said as she leaned down to kiss Y/N. “Pansy, can you put Alfie out back? I love you too,” Y/N replied before falling back to sleep. 

Pansy picked up the beautiful black cat, taking him with her to dress and pack. She made a stop at the back door to let him out as she went to the floo to return home. 

Once they were alone again, Severus tried to rouse Y/N for some morning sex but she wasn’t waking up easily this morning. “Are you ok?” he asked sitting up in the bed to look at her fully. 

“I’m very sleepy,” she remarked, unable to even fully open her eyes. “Very well, I will wake you in a bit,” he announced before heading off to the shower, alone. 

Severus finished showering and dressing, before he sat back on the side of the bed to wake Y/N again. “Princess, you have to wake up. We are going to the beach today,” he spoke softly, shaking her arm gently.

 He shook her for a second before he realized something was wrong. He shook her harder, saying “Princess, wake up,” in a frantic voice. He leaned down to check her out more thoroughly. She was breathing and her heart beating, but completely unresponsive. 

He started to panic, grabbing a t-shirt and pajama shorts to put on her before grabbing her from the bed, in his arms, and apparating away.

He appeared deep in the forest outside a cottage, at an unknown location. He quickly made his way to the door knocking on it frantically with his foot. Suddenly, the door flew open and a very old wizard in a Hawaiian shirt was standing inside with a curious look.

“What happened?” he demanded walking over to Severus who was shaking, holding an unconscious Y/N.

 “I don't know. She was briefly awake then fell asleep. I cannot wake her up,” he said hurriedly as he carried her inside the cottage, laying her on the sofa. Dumbledore bent down to inspect the young woman, noting her breathing and heart rate.

 “Her heartbeat is very slow as is her breathing. It’s almost as if she has entered some form of stasis sleep,” he said looking back at Severus. The man was in a state of shock, unable to understand what was happening, “I can’t hear her. Sometimes I can hear what she is dreaming about, as if seeing it in my own mind. It’s silent, Albus.”

“You need to get her back to Hogwarts so you can summon Madam Pomfrey. Summon Minerva as well. I need to stay here and do some more digging on this. Someone will need to stay with her 24 hours a day until she wakes up,” Dumbledore announced frankly. 

“You don’t believe she will wake up. It’s written all over your face, Albus,” Severus said with a shaky voice. “We don’t know anything right now except that she is asleep,” he tried to speak in a reassuring voice. “Is she asleep or existing? She should be having dreams at least,” Severus said in a shaky voice. 

Severus couldn’t wait for an answer, he picked up Y/N bridal style, quickly taking her back to their chambers and laying her on the bed. Once he had her in the bed, he quickly went to Malfoy Manor, demanding to see Draco. 

“What is it, Godfather? Is something wrong?” Draco asked with a worried voice when he saw Severus. “I need you to come to the castle to watch her. Something has happened and I can't wake her,” he spoke hurriedly, with a tremble in his voice. “Can’t wake her up? What does that mean? Did she do something, again?” Draco demanded to know with a look of confusion and worry. 

“No she didn’t. I can’t explain, I need you to watch her so I can retrieve some more help,” he demanded as he grabbed Draco, not giving him a choice. Suddenly, they were back at Hogwarts in the Headmasters chambers. 

“I have to go get Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagol. You cannot leave her,” Severus ordered the young man. “Of course,” Draco said, looking down at her. He picked Y/N’s hand up but it fell back to the bed. Draco turned to Severus, “What is going on?” with tears welling up in his eyes. 

“I don’t know, it has something to do with Cillian. He did something to her. I’ll be back in a few minutes,” Severus exclaimed before disappearing. 

Draco moved over beside Y/N on the bed, gently shaking her, “Love, you have to wake up.” He tried several more times, the more he tried the more frantic he became, tears streaming down his face. He had to get up for a moment to collect his thoughts. Suddenly, Severus appeared back with Madam Pomfrey and Minerva. 

Draco stood facing away from the bed, “She won’t wake up. I tried,” he said shakily. Severus put a hand on Dracos shoulder as the two older women inspected her. Madam Pomfrey went to retrieve a litany of medical supplies to inspect her properly. 

“From the beginning, tell me what happened,” Minerva ordered Severus. “About a week ago, we had an argument. She slept in the bed of a friend she trusted. He tried to take advantage of her while she was under the influence. When he came to his senses he erased her memory, unsuccessfully I believe. 

I was able to see a blip in her mind, a single fragment of what happened, but nothing more. We gave the young man some veritaserum and he admitted what had happened. 

She was very tired when she came home, each day getting sleepier it seems. This morning she was awake briefly but then asleep. I can’t wake her up at all now. I took her to Albus and he is looking into it. He believes she is in some form of stasis,” Severus recounted as he finally exhaled. 

Minerva stood thoughtfully looking down at Y/N. “How deeply have you explored her memory? Some clues may be lost in there, no matter how small,” she said. 

“Surely he isn’t clever enough to implant new memories after taking older ones. Even then, the serum we gave him. It would be impossible to lie. He said he didn’t do anything but kiss her, then erase the memory,” he said in a confused voice, trying to make sense of this.

“I don’t know what to think right now. Perhaps you should find the young man and bring him back here. Maybe all of us can get to the bottom of this,” she suggested softly as her hand reached out for Severus’ arm. 

“Albus thinks she will not wake up. I saw it in his face,” Severus announced to Minerva and Draco.  Minerva sighed deeply hearing that fact, “We don’t know anything yet. Madam Pomfrey still has to evaluate her,” she said, trying to reassure the visibly shaken man. 

“We’ll be back in a few minutes,” Severus announced, grabbing Draco’s hand and apparating them to the village. Once they were there, Severus went into the Inn, asking if Cillian was there. “Oh no, he’s at work mostly like. He works for the farmer at the end of town,” she remarked. 

Severus said nothing, just storming out the door. Draco struggled to keep up with Severus until they made it down the old damp wet Scottish road passed the half stone fence to the sheep farm where Cillian worked. 

Cillain was herding some sheep from one grassy yard to another. When he spotted Severus his eyes widened with fear. “Imperio!” Severus cast immediately as Draco followed him through the mud. 

Severus and Draco quickly grabbed Cillian roughly, apparating back to the castle. As soon as they were back in the chambers, Severus tossed Cillian down to the floor. 

“What am I doing here?” Cillian yelled as he landed on the cold stone floor. “What did you do to her? You have one chance to tell me,” Severus sneered in his deepest scariest voice. It was downright terrifying.

 “I told you, I took her memory,” he quickly responded. Everyone in the room was staring at how terrifying Severus was right now. “Draco, go get your father and tell him to meet me in my old chambers.”

Madam Pomfrey spoke up, “Severus, we need to speak.” “Watch him,” Severus spat at Draco as he walked outside the room with Madam Pomfrey. “Excuse me?” Are you sure?,” he asked questioned loudly.  “A few weeks at least,” Madam Pomfrey announced.